Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
is there a way to recalibrate it yourself ,i have the unit ,not installed yet ,but when i do itdont really want to have to go to the dealer for a flash ,bastards will probably charge me a full hour service fee

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
is there a way to recalibrate it yourself ,i have the unit ,not installed yet ,but when i do itdont really want to have to go to the dealer for a flash ,bastards will probably charge me a full hour service fee
No. The calibration software is only available via the Digital Technician. The "-09" sensors will work in an '07 or '08 bike (except the VRSCR) but will display excess fuel (indicated level will be high by ≈ ⅛ tank = 0.6 gallons = 2.4 L) if not calibrated.

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
Stever975,
Does the calibration software modify the IM firmware or the ECM. Reason I ask is I have aftermarket gauges on my 2007 VRSCX (Dakota Digital) which are programmable by me.
Could I update my sending unit and forget the Digitech need for upgrading the software? I would upgrade the calibration for my DD gauges.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Stever975,
Does the calibration software modify the IM firmware or the ECM. Reason I ask is I have aftermarket gauges on my 2007 VRSCX (Dakota Digital) which are programmable by me.
Could I update my sending unit and forget the Digitech need for upgrading the software? I would upgrade the calibration for my DD gauges.
The fuel level gauge in the IM is calibrated to compensate for the sensor. The ECM doesn't monitor or control the IM fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
Thanks Steve. That is what I suspected. I don't know why I asked, just curiosity I guess. I retrofitted the older style sending unit to my machine with the DD gauges and it is working just fine. I guess if I ever need a new sending unit I can order the -09A version of the sonar based unit.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
so if the new sender unit has a float in the tube ,why cant we install a float to the old sender and does anyone know what this float looks like and made from??

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...I guess if I ever need a new sending unit I can order the -09A version of the sonar based unit.
Based on some recent posts the current P/N has reverted to 75210-09 (75210-09A is NLA).

so if the new sender unit has a float in the tube ,why cant we install a float to the old sender and does anyone know what this float looks like and made from??
It's a rubber float held in place by a new tube design with a curved lip that traps the float as seen in this picture posted by SvFiat.

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
If you order part # 75210-09 you will receive the one on the right. I just recently had to replace the sending unit for a second time as the first replacement failed. As far as I can tell no calibration is needed. This one keeps the gauge accurate, but I still rely on my trip meter. As a cautionary note: whenever you remove the fuel flange for repairs of any kind make sure you have a replacement o-ring handy. I've always got a few sitting in my toolbox.

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
Could the needle on the gauge just be moved downwards to adjust for the 1/8 extra fuel ,
Then the other end would be off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so I've read the entire thread on this, but still have a question. I have an '09 DX that I purchased ~3 weeks ago, the gas gauge is a JOKE and even going into the v-rod knowing this I managed to run out of gas last Sat, had 130.7 on the trip. The tank before that I mathed it out to ~41/gal, so I was much surprised that the next tank only got ~26, lol. I was doing some "spirited riding" with the first half of the tank, but the second half was a road trip sitting in 5th at like 70 until I puttered to a stop on the side of the road.

My question is, will my bike require a retune after changing out the float tube? It seems everything in this thread says to reflash on 2007 until 2009 and should be fine without a reflash for 2009 and up. Has anyone does this to an '09? How did it work for you? If it does need a flash I will probably be lazy have have my dealer install it too, how much have you guys spent on labor for this roughly?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
You will find out that once you hit 4000 rpms the machine will suck gas like crazy.
More than several years ago, back in the 2002-03 days or so, a guy made a post that he ran the Dragon, all 11 miles of it, in first gear and at wide open throttle when possible. He burned up an entire tank of gas. (3.7 gal tank) during that run. Keep it under 4K rpms if you are concerned about fuel economy.
As for the remap, I have no idea about that issue. Someone else will have to answer.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I installed the new sender in my '09 Muscle and no flash was needed. It's pretty accurate now. Previously it was all over the place. It took me about 1/2 hour or less. Make sure to get a new O ring for the flange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will find out that once you hit 4000 rpms the machine will suck gas like crazy.
More than several years ago, back in the 2002-03 days or so, a guy made a post that he ran the Dragon, all 11 miles of it, in first gear and at wide open throttle when possible. He burned up an entire tank of gas. (3.7 gal tank) during that run. Keep it under 4K rpms if you are concerned about fuel economy.
As for the remap, I have no idea about that issue. Someone else will have to answer.
WOW, I've never been to the Dragon but a couple of my friends used to go once a year, in cars. Always sounded like a badass weekend, just never worked out where I could go, and now that group has died down some and they don't go :(

I wouldn't say I'm that concerned about mpg's, I mean it is a toy. It just threw me for a loop that it got THAT bad, I've wanted a V-rod for a few years and have read up a good deal on them. Most people said that with the 5gal tank you should fill up in the 100~130mi range. I was 4mi from the gas station I was going to when it ran out. So mad. At that station I got a 1gal can and tossed it in the saddlebag just in case. It was my first long ride with it, went from Chicago to the IL/IA boarder for lunch on the Mississippi. Was a great run, all back roads :) The first 1/2~2/3's of the tank I was out with a friend on a rocket, he was practicing wheelies and I keep ripping gears to hang with him. Must've been getting teen's/gal at that point :(

@Red Rocket, Thanks for the confirmation. I was just at my dealer, and they don't have/didn't find the "A" part in the computer. I didn't take the chance ordering the non-A part to see if it was revised or not. I'll just have to find the "A" one online somewhere or from another dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts

My question is, will my bike require a retune after changing out the float tube? It seems everything in this thread says to reflash on 2007 until 2009 and should be fine without a reflash for 2009 and up. Has anyone does this to an '09? How did it work for you? If it does need a flash I will probably be lazy have have my dealer install it too, how much have you guys spent on labor for this roughly?...
The DT (digital Technician) reflash for the fuel gauge is not a "retune" and has nothing to do with the fuel delivery function of the ECM. The reflash being discussed here is for the IM (instrument module) and it corrects the fuel gauge reading error that results from the float modified dip tube.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So is anyone having any luck with the dealers covering the part and installation on this for the 07 V-Rods? I found this comment on another post that makes it sound like on the 07's you're covered.

"There is an opened warranty on the fuel senders for 07 to date.Greg Davis at HD will back this up.If your dealer won't honor this by lying to you about a fine,then call customer no service to get the sender replaced for free.Tell them to check with Greg Davis if they refuse.
"
ElrodontheV-Rod 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-126185.html

101 - 120 of 145 Posts