Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering around central Florida back roads today and checked my reserve indicator and noted there was 28 miles left on reserve. The reserve indicator switched between 28 and 27 miles left for a couple of miles then stayed steady on 28. The Fuel gauge was at 1/8 full.
Normally I wait until the "lo" light pops up then start looking for a gas station.
After a couple of miles I noticed the 28 miles still registered. Now I start watching it in more earnest and notice it remains at 28 for 5 or more miles. I looked at the A trip odometer which I reset at every fill up. It said 184 miles on this tank. This is more than I have ever gotten.
I pulled up to a stop sign, proceeded through and noted the reserve indicator said 26 then quickly 22 the 15 then 'Lo" all within 1/4 mile.

I figured something is wrong. Now the needle quickly moves behind the bezel and I said to my self "Time to find a gas station real quick". The only one I knew of was about 10 miles or so away so I headed for it.

As I approached the station, the bike sputtered and stalled. I pulled in the clutch and coasted into the gas station where I filled it up with 5.249 Gallons. The A trip odometer said 194.6 miles

This is the first time I have had any problems with the fuel gauge. Normally I can predict when the LED goes to "lo" I have .7 gal left.

Has anyone else experienced this failure or am I the first? It seems like the sensor got stuck at that position. The bike has 6800 miles on it and this is the first problem I have encountered Except for the headlight falling apart.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Arent' these 2007's ultrasound sensors?

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rjrivero said:
Arent' these 2007's ultrasound sensors?
That's the word on the street.

·
JC#477
26 Posts
fuel sensor

My bike is getting a new front tire because of cupping,2200 miles. I had the dealer check the fuel sensor,they called HD and they said there working on a new design for the sensor ,we heard the phone is ringing off the wall up there over this problem. MY X has did it once. Also I had the alternator cover gasket replaced. It was weeping oil,not quite a drip. Besides all that #477 runs like a raped ape!!! The dealers should let us know something as soon as the engineers figure out a new design for the fuel sensor.

·
electric soup
747 Posts
fuel guage is kak

same issue here, fuel guage is all over the feckin place.

Sometimes after running 100 miles the damn thing is showing full, sometimes it sticks then bam! I am in the lo fuel zone.

i am using the trip meter to be on the safe side!

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ion-man said:
That's GOT to be some sort of V-Rod record!:D
I am a conservative rider and I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem.

Awaiting the fix.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
scottish R said:
same issue here, fuel guage is all over the feckin place.

Sometimes after running 100 miles the damn thing is showing full, sometimes it sticks then bam! I am in the lo fuel zone.

i am using the trip meter to be on the safe side!
It's the same problem since 02. You'd think they could get it right, but I do love my V-Rod!

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Same here on #134. Bikes got 5106 miles. Yesteray bike said 1/2 tank. Filled up to physically see gas at top of tank. Gauge still reading 1/2 tank, slowly after riding about 10 miles needle came up to full and reserve back up to 179 remaining. Glad our lives don't depend on quality Harley craftsmanship.:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW. I have found out if you do not turn the ignition off during a fill up, the guage will produce inaccurate readings. TURN THE IGNITION OFF then back on to reset things.
Don't know why but I noticed this phenom several times on my wifes '03 as well as my '07

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Wife always turns everything off during fillup. Problem still there. Hope Moco fixes it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My DX has been at the dealer for 1 1/2 weeks. They told me they are going to replace the fuel guage(The only response this dealership ever has with a problem) but it's on back order. In the meantime they are telling me that they have been told by harley that this problem occurs when you start the bike on the side stand. I have a hard time believing this because I only start it on its side stand when I need it to warm up, and I've notticed the fuel guage messing up after I fuel it up when I had no reason to start it on the stand.

I'll pick it up tommarow and let you guys know if I learn anything further.......

Oh, on a side note, I was also informed that when the tech took it for a test ride he left the key and FOB in the bike. It fell, got ran over, and now I'm out a key for god knows how long. Go Stubbs!

·
Registered
264 Posts
My fuel guage went today. I looked down and just happened to see the "gas range" number falling from 168 to "Lo" in no time. Looked like a NASA countdown. Like the say....they give you 2 trip odo for a reason...one for gas, one for the trip.

Col001 - Ive got cupping also. I'm going to look into moving to Metzelers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, the fuel guages are on backorder, so in the meantime I'm supposed to make a conscious effort to start the bike upright and not on the side stand. We've had some crappy weather for the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if I'll get much riding in anyway.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Mine started screwing up yesterday too. I made an appointment to have it checked out in Bedford for Tuesday. I'll think I'll just cancel that until I hear that the Mofo has a fix for it.

P.S. These biaaatchs in Bedford want $233 for the 1000 mile service. I told them I can go buy a jack, torque wrenchs, synthetic oil, filter and supper for less than that and that they can go feck themselves. :moon:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I've only started my bike upright for the last week and the day before yesterday my guage went from full to emty in the span of about 10 minutes. When I went to pick up my replacement FOB the next day it showed 3/4 of a tank. I told the service guy that starting it upright didn't eleminate the problem, so he told me to bring the bike in when I could and they'd take care of it.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.