first mile of the morning.

I just finished adding on a stage 1 kit with a Dynojet Target
Tune, so is it possible I knocked a cable loose? If someone
could help me figure this out and what to check I would
appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
V-Rod fuel gauges do not work reliability - period. Never have, never will.
'
You forgot to mention what year and model V-Rod you have. Would help in the future if you put that info in your signature.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Run some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in it. That sometimes helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V-Rod fuel gauges do not work reliability - period. Never have, never will.
'
You forgot to mention what year and model V-Rod you have. Would help in the future if you put that info in your signature.
Sorry bout that, it's a 2016 Muscle.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
I`ll take it.. Keep the bike.. :)
Aye, I intend to do that. Fact of the matter is unless I have a monetary windfall, the Street Rod is likely to be my last motorcycle.

Though I do wish I could find a way to get another FXR. In hindsight,I shouldn't have sold mine.
(Or my '83 XR-1000, the Kawa Z-1R, or any of the 3 Shovelheads I've owned.)
:banghead:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have been doing this for years and it works . After a fill up . Put the bike ignition in accessory position . Leave it there for two minutes . Start the bike like normal . The gauge works fine .

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have been doing this for years and it works . After a fill up . Put the bike ignition in accessory position . Leave it there for two minutes . Start the bike like normal . The gauge works fine .
I did this today before backing the bike out of the garage and strapping on my helmet. Worked like a charm! My fuel gauge did not act up once over 1.5hr ride. Damn rain forced me to head home...I'm such a wuss.

Thanks for the tip:cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replace the fuel sending unit, takes about an hour and $100. Check youtube for a how-to video. Replaced mine on my '11 Muscle and it has worked fine now for three years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2002 vrsca, the bike was sitting for 3 years, I got new battery and put fresh gas. I rode it only at the weekends for at least 40 min for 2 months now. Only a week ago the engine started to hesitate to start up. I noticed that when the key is in the ignition at the start position and I press Run, it sounds “clicks clicks clicks” the for a second and two it gets quite and then starts.

In ACC mode, I have to wiggle the key to work. Any idea? Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
some say its the wiring and a bad connection. others say the float needs replacing. its hit or miss. i had issues the first 2 years after buying new. after a few visits to harley the checked and tightened all the connections and its been working fine ever since. historically this has been a problem though. not good considering the small tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
fuel gauge

my 2008 vrod fuel gauge is still working fine after 108,400 Km (that's 67,360 miles). I have regularly switched the ignition to the accessory position about once a week and this may have prevented any "glitches"occurring in the fuel readings. I always reset the trip odometer at every fill up and my gauge has always indicated the correct volume of fuel used for the mileage traveled.
when I stop for gas I always shut the kill switch off first, then the ignition switch off, and after fill up the kill switch on first then the ignition switch and WAIT for the fuel gauge needle to return to the full position BEFORE starting the engine. ( if you start the engine before the gauge reaches the correct fuel level it may "freeze" in some midway position)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so I was driving this morning and the fuel gauge began
almost immediately acting up, and ultimately failed. It first
read at 3/4 tank (where it should have been), then dropped
within .5 of a mile to 1/4 tank, then to empty and clicked on
the fuel warning on the console. All this happened within the
first mile of the morning.

I just finished adding on a stage 1 kit with a Dynojet Target
Tune, so is it possible I knocked a cable loose? If someone
could help me figure this out and what to check I would
appreciate it.

Probably an old & repetitive tip,but my experience with Fuel gauge & sending unit.
I just wanted to share that the sensor/Fuel gauge problems that I experienced may years ago were resolved by using a techron & seafoam mix added every year to prevent buildup on the surface of the sending unit inside the fuel tank while my bike is in winter 'non-use' long term storage

I , like many owners, had sensor gauge issues several years ago when I first bought my Vrod in 2002 brand new. Within the first few years the gauge stopped working or just got stuck reading empty or read 1/4 or 1/2 when the tank was actually full. . But these issues resolved and never returned after I started to store my bike with techron and seafoam in the tank over the winter months when the bike sat un-used.

I currently had my 2002 stored in my garage with old gas that I last put in from 2013. ( 5 years old gas) I just got the bike started again after having a new battery installed, --and surprisingly the Fuel gauge works fine. The bike started with no hesitation even with 5 year old gas.

The key to keeping the fuel sending unit clean inside the tank is to STORE the bike with full tank of gas and the add an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of techron and additionally also an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of seafoam and let it sit over the winter months when not in use.

Sea foam is amazing. So it Techron

(Unrelated, but I had a old Yamaha YSR that i bought that had 30 year old dried up hard caramelized gas drippings on the frame and I used a small amount of seafoam soaked rag on the dried up hardened dark brown dry gas drippings, and sure enough the 30 year old oxidized hardened carmelized gas dripping just dissolved and wiped up in a snap. The seafoam dissolves deposits. Techron does the same.)

They key is that I massively overdose my fuel tank when using both products when storing my Vrod over the winter.

In 2013, I had put the Vrod away for the last 5 years un-used, but each year added some fresh techron and seafoam each winter just to keep the concentrations high.

fuel gauge worked flawlessly since I started this yearly storage ritual.

Important to note ----It takes TIME for the seafoam and the techron to dissolve the deposits that might be causing fuel sensor problems, but with very high concentrations and over several months your gauge should return to proper functioning as these products clean any deposits off of the sending unit.

These is ZERO harm in overdosing Techron or overdosing Seafoam. The only side effect is that your bike will blow white smokey exhaust until all of the treated fuel is completely used up but this usually only occurs on start up. Once the engine is warm the white smoke is gone.

I am sure this info (about adding seafoam and techron) might be old news to the forum, but after storing my Vrod for 5 years unused with 5 year old gas, I was quite worried/and even expecting that my fuel gauge would get stuck as a result of having 5 year old gas siting in the tank. I finally had time two weeks ago to get the bike towed to the dealer to have a new battery installed, and sure enough the bike started no problem and the gauge has been working fine since.

Just though this might help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like many, my 2008 Night Rod is plagued with the fuel sender problem. Sometimes the gauge reads correctly (or seems to), but most of the time, the gauge is obviously way off and useless. The only way to know when I need fuel is the trip odometer like back in the day.

kratedisease's approach intrigues me, especially how easy it is to do. I'm not questioning what kratedisease has experienced, I'm out of my element here and that ignorance leads to fear. And questions:

• Is it possible to put too much of either of these cleaners into the tank? We're talking about 3 times the recommended Sea Foam usage and 2.4 times what the Techron bottle says. Sea Foam's website says you can't use too much, but Techron's website doesn't talk about it.
  • Could there be some nasty interaction between the two cleaners? I had to repeat Chemistry twice in High School.

If my choice is between somehow trashing my fuel system (or, worse, engine) and staying with relying on the odometer, I'm going stay old school.

In any case, does anyone else have any experience doing this to their bike? Has anyone else every used these amounts of these products?

Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like many, my 2008 Night Rod is plagued with the fuel sender problem. Sometimes the gauge reads correctly (or seems to), but most of the time, the gauge is obviously way off and useless. The only way to know when I need fuel is the trip odometer like back in the day.

kratedisease's approach intrigues me, especially how easy it is to do. I'm not questioning what kratedisease has experienced, I'm out of my element here and that ignorance leads to fear. And questions:

• Is it possible to put too much of either of these cleaners into the tank? We're talking about 3 times the recommended Sea Foam usage and 2.4 times what the Techron bottle says. Sea Foam's website says you can't use too much, but Techron's website doesn't talk about it.
  • Could there be some nasty interaction between the two cleaners? I had to repeat Chemistry twice in High School.

If my choice is between somehow trashing my fuel system (or, worse, engine) and staying with relying on the odometer, I'm going stay old school.

In any case, does anyone else have any experience doing this to their bike? Has anyone else every used these amounts of these products?

Thanks,
Hi, I saw your post.

You should have ZERO fear in overdosing the Techron in addition to overdosing the Seafoam TOGETHER .

I have a 2002 V-Rod and just washed the bike this week,and put it away for the winter. I added a ENTIRE 16oz can of Seafoam TOGETHER with an ENTIRE 16oz bottle of Techron into my (smaller than your fuel tank-thats only 3.7gallon) and then completely topped off the tank to full with fresh fuel. Just did it this week actually. I do it every winter.

There is ZERO concern of any engine damage from such high doses of both cleaners.

Both cleaners are 100% compatible with each other, no interactions or issues, ZERO.

You should NOT fear any engine damage, and in fact the cleaners will also clean off any carbon deposits on intake valves,and even cylinder heads, and will additionally remove any gunk or deposits on your fuel injectors.

I have been doing this for years. The only side effect is that your bike will blow white smokey exhaust until all of the treated fuel is completely used up but this usually only occurs on start up. Once the engine is warm the white smoke is gone.

Try it. it is a $20 investment.

BUT, you must let the seafoam and Techron SOAK for SEVERAL MONTHS inside your fuel tank to dissolve any deposits on the sending unit inside the tank. I stated in my previous post that --It TAKES TIME for the seafoam and the techron to dissolve the deposits that might be causing fuel sensor problems, but with very high concentrations and over SEVERAL MONTHS your gauge should return to proper functioning as these products clean any deposits off of the sending unit. This is why i recommend adding these cleaners during winter storage where the bike sits with the cleaners inside the fuel tank for at least 5 to 6 months.

There is ZERO chance of any damage occurring to your engine running such high concentrations. ZERO CHANCE, don't worry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.