Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It died and won't restart
I wrote this in a previous thread!
I have around 1400 miles and have had nothing but fun until now. I did have a fuel flang problem at around 800 miles but that was fixed under warranty. My new problem is worse, I am out of my warranty and was too stupid to extend it> I was on the freeway offramp when the darn thing just lost power. No warning, it just shut off! It will turn over and it will fire for a split second but it will not start. I understand that there is a recall but I have not recieved a letter. Maybe the fuel flange is the problem and all will be ok....If not , what is this going to cost me? I have sent an E-mail to my local H-D service dept. with no reply. Oh and to top it all off, as I made my way to a safe place to stop, I dropped it in the lose dirt and gravel and bent the right lower frame.... Thank you for reading!

I replaced the Battery, the Frame piece, checked the plugs (look fine), Pulled the springs in the plug boot out and stretched them a little. Oh by the way the best way to get the spring out is to thread the long bolt from the coil into the spring and pull gently, it works great. I then started the beast and then it died again. I looked into the Fuel tank and there it was the infamous Fuel flange mist! Well at least it is a easy fix.
Thank you all for you're help !
TIM :thumb:

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
P-4 said:
It died and won't restart
I wrote this in a previous thread!
I have around 1400 miles and have had nothing but fun until now. I did have a fuel flang problem at around 800 miles but that was fixed under warranty. My new problem is worse, I am out of my warranty and was too stupid to extend it> I was on the freeway offramp when the darn thing just lost power. No warning, it just shut off! It will turn over and it will fire for a split second but it will not start. I understand that there is a recall but I have not recieved a letter. Maybe the fuel flange is the problem and all will be ok....If not , what is this going to cost me? I have sent an E-mail to my local H-D service dept. with no reply. Oh and to top it all off, as I made my way to a safe place to stop, I dropped it in the lose dirt and gravel and bent the right lower frame.... Thank you for reading!

I replaced the Battery, the Frame piece, checked the plugs (look fine), Pulled the springs in the plug boot out and stretched them a little. Oh by the way the best way to get the spring out is to thread the long bolt from the coil into the spring and pull gently, it works great. I then started the beast and then it died again. I looked into the Fuel tank and there it was the infamous Fuel flange mist! Well at least it is a easy fix.
Thank you all for you're help !
TIM :thumb:
It's a recall should be free, where do you live?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm also having trouble with the recall. I got the letter from Harley. Took it in today. Dealer called and said my VIN wasn't on the list for the flange. I faxed them the letter. Hope they get it straightened out. Now why would I get the letter and not be on the approved VIN list?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If the flange is the problem chopper steve at v-mod was selling a fitting that fixed the problem better then the recall repair does and even for a first timer should take no more then 45 minutes to install. Getting the fuel flange out of the tank is really very simple.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
When I had my bike serviced, they didn't even check the VIN, just performed the repair, no questions, no charge. (Yup Max - those same guys you had problems with). You suppose they read this forum???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VrodRick74 said:
Right on, we should get together and ride. What's done to your bike, lets compare notes.
I havn't changed much on my v-rod. I am short, so I put on reduced reach foot pegs. I cut down some stock muflers, great sound but need to get PC or TFI. I really like the look of the bike and the looks never stop no matter where I ride it. Nothing like going 90 on the freeway and having cars speed up to give you the thumbs-up. I would however like to maybe chrome some stuff.
As soon as I get a trailer I will get the recall done and we will get together then!
:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAX... Is there a How-to on the fuel flange removal? If my bike is not on the recall list I will have to do it myself. What are the parts needed to perform it.. Threaded nipple and stainless clamp?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Yes Daniii they read the forum and they are none to happy about what I think about them. Dan they didn't have to even offer good service, had it been just decent I wouldn't bash them but to even catch them stealing and then trying to charge me three times the labor charges for everything I ask about was crazy. Not to mention the first time I took them my bike and after they had it a week I found they didn't even have the parts yet, but they weren't even going to bother to let me know or pull my bike inside out of the rain or bad weather. Then when I insisted to come and get it they left the front of the air box cover loose and it came up on me at 70mph. And Dan if you want my opinion that tire and service warranty is a rip off, they charged you more labor for your tires then my tires cost me. I would still like to know if they checked your valves as well. I just wouldn't trust them to work on my lawn mower after what I have seen and gotten from them.

In short I don't think they could fix a bread sandwich.

No p-4 I have not done a flange how-to but did pull my 02 out and install the threaded fitting as I see this as a better repair then the replacement unit. It took me less then 30 minutes, the toughest part is snaking the float out of the neck.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Max, I always make it a point to wear the forum t-shirt when i go there. And I'm stuck with them for a while, (at least till I figure I'm even with the "lifetime" agreement) so I'll make the best of it. But I double check everything.
They are down to 1 V-Rod for sale on the floor.......

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nicely said Max. As some know I purchased my 2003 on March 20th and had a continuous stalling problem(3 to 6 times daily). My selling dealer added gasoline after I complained and they said it was because of old gas. Did no good. Axed for an appointment for a further looksee. This was on March 25th or so. They told me earliest appointment was April 26th. Two weeks later on April 12th I went again to the selling dealer and requested/demanded that they check my ECM level(Bike came with dealer installed SE Exhaust). After some debate they agreed to do so. 45 minutes later after much butt scratching they decided that I had "02" level and I should have "02a"(I of course already knew that from this forum). They did not have cartridge and said they would order and would take 5 to 6 day.

I then took bike to San Jose HD(non selling dealer who worked me in) and they installed required "02a" and now I only have stalled perhaps 4 or 5 times in the past 10 days. I then took bike today to selling dealer(for the April 26th appointment) to have it further checked out for the remaining stalling and my reported vibration problems. I gave them a long list of things to check out from what I had learned on this forum and my purchased shop manual. I happen to ax them if they had my "02a" upgrade cartridge as I had not heard from them since ordering on April 12th. They said had not yet come in. I said no big deal as I had it installed at another dealer. They were surprised that I had not waited for the cartridge they had ordered for me(and still was not yet in stock).

Of course in all of this I had called HD Customer Service 3 or 4 times(A worthless soul named Shawn took my calls) to absolutely no help except to tell me to park my bike if I were worried about the danger of a engine stalling in California traffic.

Hopefully when I pick my bike up in the next few days, using the list of items to check out(coils, wire springs, fuel regulators, faulty sensor for MAP or CKP, vacuum leaks, throttle plates or cables, spark plugs,--- loose engine mounts or exhaust hitting frame, partial plugged fuel injectors, Engine counterbalancer out of time(vibration problems) and other assorted possbilities. I do not believe that they were to pleased with my list of items to check but probably somewhat curious where I had assembled such a list that something will be found that can be repaired to remedy my remaining complaints.

In spite of all of this, I love the bike and my Heritage has moved twice since March 20th(both times while the Vrod has been in the shop). I just wished that Walmart or Sears backed the warranty.

Roger
Silicon Valley, Ca

1 - 15 of 15 Posts