Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 V-Rod. I remember taking it in to my dealer for repair in response to the Fuel Flange recall letter. I believe the fuel flange was replaced since my current fuel flange has a date code of 3243, which is after the date range indicated on the Service Bulletin M-1141A.

Recently I developed symptoms indicating a faulty fuel flange, and investigation showed the telltale ‘mist’ and fine spray inside the fuel tank. The leak seems to be where the metal fitting for the outlet hose is pressed into the fuel flange.

My questions are:
-What was actually done to fix the original fuel flange problem?
-What is the difference between the original part no. 75173-01 and updated part no. 75173-01A?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Mine never broke,but I had it replaced under the factory recall.I too,received the recall letter and took the bike to the dealer and had the new flange installed without ever experiencing a problem.
I never looked to see the difference,but I've always thought,if the one I have in now ever broke,I would install the barbed eighth inch fitting like the first repair suggested.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It looks like the fix was to add a piece of hard piping about 2 inches long to stabulize the pickup nozzle. Seems to be working fine.

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never actually had a problem with the original fuel flange. But now, six and a half years later, I have the problem with the updated part?

I could not find the original TSB # M-1141.

Al, can you describe the fix with the 1/8" fitting, or give me a thread link that describes this. Do you need to tap the plastic flange for a pipe thread?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Remove the existing fitting, Tap the flange to 1/8"npt and screw a new hose barb into it. Attach the hose, clamp it and go.Ed

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I bought a 1/8" NPT Tap and a Hose Barb to 1/8" Male Pipe Thread fitting and a couple of small hose clamps. I'll try the installation tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
OK, I bought a 1/8" NPT Tap and a Hose Barb to 1/8" Male Pipe Thread fitting and a couple of small hose clamps. I'll try the installation tomorrow.

Thanks.
Be slow w the tap.Use lube and restart a few times to keep the debris out of the way.Remember,NPT.( National Pipe Thread ),is a tapered thread and could easily break the plastic as it enters the hole.

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The correct fitting is a 5/16 in. Hose Barb to 1/8 in. Male PIPE thread. I installed it and it looks like it will solve the problem. Removing the existing fitting was pretty difficult, it would be easy to destroy the plastic fuel flange while you are trying to remove it.

When I was putting the fuel module assembly back together, I found two pin holes in the corrugated plastic cross over tube that runs from the pump to the filter. I found the same problem in the summer of 2007 when I installed the UE tank.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for this tubing? In 2007, I tried using automobile fuel line for this application, but because it makes a complete 'U' bend, the hose developed a crimp which restricted fuel flow and caused stalling problems on the bike.

Thanks

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
[QUOTE

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for this tubing? In 2007, I tried using automobile fuel line for this application, but because it makes a complete 'U' bend, the hose developed a crimp which restricted fuel flow and caused stalling problems on the bike.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Try using the same type hose with a short piece of soft copper tubing inside the hose to keep it open at the bend.

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part No. 62927-01 pin hole

I only had to travel 53 miles to find the official HD part, the cross over tube from fuel pump outlet to the fuel filter. It was fairly cheap, $6.50, but it looks just like a flexible straw that that would be a give away item at any fast food place.

The pin holes in the cross over tube cause low and inconsistent fuel pressure and create the same symptoms as a fuel flange leak.

I reinstalled the fuel module with the new hose barb fitting and new cross over tube. I do not see any more mist or spray inside the tank and the bike runs great, no more surging, hesitating, pausing or stalling.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
When I look in the tank with the engine running I see bubbles around the fuel pump. 2006 Night rod, is this normal? If not is this the reason for slight power loss and rougher running?

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel Pressure Gage

I just purchased a ‘Fuel Injection Pump Tester’ for $14.90 on ebay (plus $11.85 shipping). It comes with a 0-100 psi gage and several different tubes and fittings. The hose that the instructions describe as ‘Cadillac – Bendix Type Hookup’ fits perfectly onto the V-Rod Schrader valve. It could not be easier. My fuel pressure measured a steady 60 psi just like it is supposed to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts