Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with the fuel flange recall for the vrod? Is there a charge to repair this problem? Did the repair need to be done with in a certain time from when the bike was purchased?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
vrodaholic said:
What is up with the fuel flange recall for the vrod? Is there a charge to repair this problem? Did the repair need to be done with in a certain time from when the bike was purchased?
I see you have a 2003. There should be no time limit on getting this repaired. If a dealer finds that your fuel line is leaking inside the tank and it has one of the old flanges they should replace it using part # 75173-01A under Service Bulletin M-1141A dated Oct 30, 2003 (revision of M-1141 dated Oct 10, 2003).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I called my local dealer and gave them my VIN number. They said that there are no recalls for my bike. Is this usually acurate or is there still a good chance that I could have the fuel flange issue? I also have a 2003 with 5k. I am not the original owner, would that make a difference on whether it is covered?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
vrod in cbus said:
I called my local dealer and gave them my VIN number. They said that there are no recalls for my bike. Is this usually acurate or is there still a good chance that I could have the fuel flange issue? I also have a 2003 with 5k. I am not the original owner, would that make a difference on whether it is covered?
do a search on "fuel flange" and you'll see how to check if yours is bad. I read somewhere that a guy had bought a used bike and there was a sticker under the seat or on top of the tank somewhere that had some sort of fuel flange service # showing that his had already been changed

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
vrod in cbus said:
The dealer should have the VIN number list. It was included in the original Oct 10, M1141 SB as mentioned in the M1141A SB that was posted by Max in this thread: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2199

As far as I know the original M1141 SB with the VIN list hasn't been posted on this web site.

I would still insist on the dealer checking to see if the flange is leaking at the fitting mentioned in the SB. If it's leaking there, HD should cover this.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was a bulletin and not a recall. I know it's only wording but it changes how they handle things. As far as I know if your 03 failed at any time they would replace it but they were only replacing units within a given vin range without failure.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Max said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was a bulletin and not a recall. I know it's only wording but it changes how they handle things. As far as I know if your 03 failed at any time they would replace it but they were only replacing units within a given vin range without failure.
Max,
I think you're correct (as usual) concerning the "without failure" replacement. I wouldn't try pushing for this replacement if your not sure it's the problem. Like my dad always said: "If it ain't broke, break it."

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
the bulletin gives the dates within the bikes are manufactured.. if yours falls within those dates.. as did mine.. they will fix it free.. but i think it has to fail first..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Max said:

I believe you are correct,to the best of my knowledge it is only a TSB.Also,as far as I know,if it is a recall,there would be a document sent to the vehicle owner when a recall pertains to a particular VIN #.The owner then has the option to make an appointment w a dealer or to sign a waver that relieves the company from any liability.A recall is an indefinate repair or replacement and does not fall into warranty catagory.Recalls can be discontinued when a certain percentage of them has been met as per Fed regulations,this is where the word indefinate falls into action.Harley recalls are public info and can be looked up online or by having a dealer "run the VIN".TSB's from Harley are not normally made public.
A TSB will be covered under the provisions of a companys warranty if the vehicle is still in the time and or milage parameters of the warranty.
With the new flange I've heard of low mileage,high inservice time bikes having this replacement performed at no charge to the customer and some the customer pays the labor.Same thing w the leaking generator covers on the early models.I assume it's how much money is left in the dealer zone at the time for goodwill repairs or adjustments.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info took it to the dealer today they said that was the problem but it did not fall within the recall numbers. That is BS to me ,will find out soon how much the repair cost is.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
vrodaholic said:
Thanks for the info took it to the dealer today they said that was the problem but it did not fall within the recall numbers. That is BS to me ,will find out soon how much the repair cost is.
Where in Maryland are you?
What dealer are you using?

Like 3OliveMartini wrote, check the date code on the fuel flange. It's stamped below the part # on the seat hinge side of the flange. On my '02 it's REVA0862. The four numbers is what you want to record. The affected flanges began on day 255 in '02 = 2552 and ended on day 230 in '03 = 2303. From this you can see that the numbers in '02 (2552 to 3652) will be larger than those in '03 (0013 to 2303).

If you can't get the dealer to cover this there's a "cheap" fix with a hardware store fitting. Get a brass 1/8" male pipe thread to hose barb fitting and a stainless hose clamp. You can also use the HD part number 63533-41A fitting (about $3.50) to fix this. You'll also need a flange removal tool. Send me a PM. I have the tools and will help you fix this if the dealer won't.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
here is what i would do . check my numbers.. if you fall with in range.. (and this is what greg and i did ) print off the service bulletin..walk in and say .. hey here is the service bulletin.. my bike falls with in the dates.. and i would like to get it fixed.. and i woudl probably nto go back to the same dealer .. if they are giving you hassle unless there is no other choice

it worked foe me.. and they were glad to help out..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This is what has been recommended for keeping the belt and cush drive quiet Part #99860-81 Poly-Oil.

stever975,real nice of you to offer help.:thumb:

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
Max said:
Max, I think you're right, this is nothing more than a service bulletin which legally is VERY different from a recall. A service bulletin only specifies if a concern appears, here's how to repair it, and then the Company decides if they will cover the repair. It is my understanding so-called "secret warranties" are illegal.

I know in the automotive world recalls are issued only for safety or emissions concerns, don't know how that translates to the motorcycle world.

Of course, IMHO leaking fuel is a safety AND an emissions issue, so a person could always file a complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation section of the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. Enough complaints and NHTSA might (read again, MIGHT) open an investigation.

www.nhtsa.dot.gov

And also keep in mind if someone's VIN does not fall within the range of vehicles covered by the service bulletin, the dealer is for the most part powerless in having the manufacturer cover the repair. If the dealer would then pay for it then that's great for the customer....but my advice is, if someone's bike doesn't fall within spec of the program, keep all the receipts showing you paid for the repair, and IF (notice the IF part) the manufacturer broadens the scope of the VINs in the bulletin, you MIGHT have an avenue for reimbursement directly from the manufacturer. Every case is unique.

As of the date/time of this note there are only two recalls on V-RODs in NHTSA's database:

Make : HARLEY DAVIDSON Model : V-ROD Year : 2005
Manufacturer : HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V465000 Mfr's Report Date : SEP 21, 2004
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 2828
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, A CONDITION OCCURS THAT COULD ALLOW PRESSURE TO BUILD UP IN THE FUEL TANK. ON FUEL INJECTED VEHICLES, THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE FUEL TO SPRAY OUT UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN THE FUEL CAP IS REMOVED. ON CARBURETED VEHICLES, EXCESSIVE FUEL COULD BE TRANSFERRED TO THE CARBURETOR, WHICH WOULD EVENTUALLY ALLOW FUEL TO DRIP FROM THE AIR CLEANER.
Consequence:
THESE SITUATIONS COULD CAUSE SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR CREATE A FIRE HAZARD FOR PERSONS OR PROPERTY ON OR NEAR THE MOTORCYCLE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL TEST EACH CANISTER FOR BLOCKAGE, THEN REPLACE AS NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN NOVEMBER 4, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HARLEY-DAVIDSON AT 1-414-343-4056.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

.....And this one on certain 2006 VRSCRs:

Make : HARLEY DAVIDSON Model : VRSCR Year : 2006
Manufacturer : HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V303000 Mfr's Report Date : JUN 27, 2007
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 2403
Summary:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES WERE BUILT WITH A CONDITION WHEREBY THE PANT LEG OF SOME RIDERS CAN HAVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE EXHAUST PIPE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE PANT LEG TO CHAR OR BURN, WHICH COULD LEAD TO THE POSSIBILITY OF INJURY TO THE RIDER.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL ADD A NEW HEAT SHIELD, P/N 66820-06, WHICH PROVIDES ADDITIONAL COVERAGE OF THE EXHAUST PIPE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 12, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HARLEY DAVIDSON AT 1-414-343-4056.
Notes:
HARLEY DAVIDSON RECALL NO. 0132. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Wow is campaign 04V465000 the fuel flange issue, if so legal surly cleaned the problem up nicely.

I don't remember the problem being a blockage, plus I thought it effected 03's and 04. It should have been resolved before model year '05... right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts