Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my ’03 in late August and took it in for the 1000 mile service at the beginning of October. Broke it in mostly according to spec and had zero problems before the service. Went on a 250 mile trip through the mountains and the bike ran great at first, but progressively started running poorly and smelled especially rich. Checked oil and shows a full inch above full with a strong presence of fuel in the oil. Oil is also present around the velocity stacks and SE filter. Bike has greatly limited power above 3500 rpm.

Called the dealership fearing they had overfilled the crankcase (oil in intake is even referenced in the owners manual as a sign of overfilling the crankcase, by they way). The explanation they offered over the phone is as follows: the faulty fuel flange causing the sending unit to richen the AF mix thereby flooding the engine, causing fuel to leak into the crankcase and potentially stripping the SE filter to of its oil as well. Furthermore, the rich mix is their explanation for the power loss. Until now, I had always read that the fuel flange was causing a low-pressure (read lean) condition.

At any rate, their explanation is so out there it almost starts to makes sense. I may be a little naive or just hopeful that there’s no major damage. Any thoughts from the forum?

As much as I hate to, I told them to pick the bike up, replace the flange and check out the other symptoms. Since it’s under warranty, I want to keep as much responsibility at the dealership as I can.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Yikes! I take my '04 in for the 1000 mile service or check up soon Actually, I have 1400 on the odometer and the bike is only 3 weeks old. Your issues are a concern for me. I hope everything goes well for you and the bikes gets straightened out.
Good luck ................

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bret-99 that explanation makes no sense at all. The V-Rod does not use any form of O2 sensor or any other means of measuring if it is rich or lean. It does use an ionizer type system on the coil but that can only make very minor changes. No power above 3500 rpm = lean condition. I have heard of a lot of fuel flange failures and a few fuel in oil problems but I do not think they are caused by the same thing.
:2cents

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Pull your rear plug and see if it's black or wet. For that much extra fuel to be in the motor you would have a seriously fouled plug.

Demand an oil analysis, change the oil, fix the fuel flange and go from there.

Max is 100% right, there's no way for the Speed Density based EFI on our bikes to richen the mixture to the point of running so rich gas runs past the rings. At that point the plugs would foul and the bike would run like sh1t at all rpms. :2cents

There's been a lot of speculation on gas in the oil. I'd love to see a definitive answer on how that can happen in the V-Rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Spark plugs are an easy thing to check and both plugs look normal; neither lean nor rich. I want to believe their hypothesis, but it’s not adding up. I think it’s just a case of overfilling the crank. Hopefully there’s no major damage (or they comp me a big bore kit :goof ) and the new fuel flange corrects the power loss. I personally still can’t make the connection between the fuel flange problem and the assumed presence of fuel in the oil. At any rate, they pick the bike up tomorrow and I’ll post any findings if they come up with something more plausible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the fuel flang on my 03 went out at about 1200 mi, made the bike run super lean thankfully it happened close to home and no damage , brought to fargo HD and had it fixed under warenty... has any body else had that problem

:cheers:
kc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts