Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the change interval?

How many miles are on yours?

This is the last possible worry I have (I think) for my fuel delivery issues. I just replaced the pump and wondering if I should change or will soon need to change the filter. I have almost 17,000m on the bike and it's the OEM original.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It came with a sock to protect the pump. The fuel filter is the can to the left of the pump...

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I've never known anyone that replaced the fuel filter.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Me either,because there isn't a fuel filter that is used after the pump.The only filter on the V-Rod for the fuel is the sock before the fuel pump.i've rarely seen one go bad,w the exception of the ill design on some of the earlier V-Rods.
I have over 250K miles on my truck w the original sock in the tank.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Me either,because there isn't a fuel filter that is used after the pump.The only filter on the V-Rod for the fuel is the sock before the fuel pump.i've rarely seen one go bad,w the exception of the ill design on some of the earlier V-Rods.
I have over 250K miles on my truck w the original sock in the tank.
There is a filter after the pump its the "can" in the picture
pressure side filter part number 75169-01

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Why would they recommend one?
when it plugs up it will take the pump out and they can sell more parts.

I plan on changing mine At 60k

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, considering the problems I've had with fuel delivery, we've pretty much zeroed-in on the pump as the culprit. But knowing my luck, the filter could have been the problem, or may be clogged with metal shavings from the bad pump. I ordered a new filter. If my problems persist, I will swap it in.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The pressure side fuel filter is to be replaced every 25,000 miles. The suction side fuel filter, the sock like thing at the very bottom, is supposed to be replaced every 100,000 miles. This information is found in the verbiage that describes the fuel system and is not on any maintenance schedule.
My filter looks nothing like what MegaZ shows in his photo. It is a pleated paper filter that fits inside a plastic housing mounted above the fuel pump. It is very simple to replace once the assembly is out of the bike.
There are two o-rings to be aware of. One is shown in the parts break down and should be replaced with the filter. It seals the filter housing to the filter base. There is another small o-ring that seals the pressure hose to the filter base. Be very careful to positively locate this o-ring and take care not to mis place it, or the bike will have low fuel pressure and run like crap.
I am wondering if this smaller o-ring is part of the problem on MegaZ's bike??? Was it lost when your fuel pump and filter assembly was disturbed?

·
Registered
62 Posts
this makes a lot of sense...a filter after the pump

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, the plastic "covers" on my fuel pump wire connections have become brittle and cracked off. Anyone ever replace them that could reference a source/part number? Normally I'd just use electrical tape, but don't want to and want to be careful about the material since it is submerged in fuel.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Also, the plastic "covers" on my fuel pump wire connections have become brittle and cracked off. Anyone ever replace them that could reference a source/part number? Normally I'd just use electrical tape, but don't want to and want to be careful about the material since it is submerged in fuel.
'
Electrial tape wont work for very long. Glue will deteriorate quickly.
'
Try this LINK for a possible wire replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
'
Electrial tape wont work for very long. Glue will deteriorate quickly.
'
Try this LINK for a possible wire replacement.
Thanks so much John! I just consulted with Quantum. I had originally ordered model 382 from them 2 years ago via Amazon (that's what Amazon said I needed for my 2003 VRSCA), but it recently died too. Their website points me to the 370 that you linked to, but they told me to order the 456 that you also linked to. It's odd since that one says it is for the later model years, but I did what they said and should have it here on Sat.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Good luck. Let us know the results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts