Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Less than 40, PCIII

Votes: 23 51.1%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've spotted a trend related to fuel economy on bikes using the different systems for fuel and ignition mapping so I thought a survey might be in order. The poll won't cover all the options but it might help identifying trends.

Please respond with your measured average fuel economy, what methond of fuel enrichment you use (HD Flash, HP Race Tuner, PCIII, Techlusion) and the bike setup.

I'll start out.

40 mpg
Race Tuner with SE #1 map
V-Mod SE pipes
SE Air Filter, topless
30T (just installed the 28T so I don't have new numbers)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
My average is around 37 but Ihave a real heavy right hand.:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
26,7 miles per gallon at wiiiiiidddeeee open throttle.
Racing a ducati and honda 996.
Derek :diablo:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derek said:
26,7 miles per gallon at wiiiiiidddeeee open throttle.
Racing a ducati and honda 996.
Derek :diablo:
I asked for average mileage....:rolleyes: BTW, what setup?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hell I'd be happy to get 10mpg with the C-23 $12.00 GALLON **** I RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:helpme:

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Kaz,
This thread was ment for us mere V-Rod mortals. You Speed Gods get what you deserve in the fuel line!:freak:
:notworthy I respect the hell out of you though!!

Mike

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Great!Thanks!:rolleyes: ;)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I average 31 mpg. 28T pulley, stock V-Mods, K&N A/F, modified Air Box cover and PCRIIIr dyno tuned to 117 rwhp.

John

·
Registered
172 Posts
35 miles to the gallon with SE1s, 28t, topless and SE fuelmap. I'm still in the breakin period so I expect this to change.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
I never measured till you asked....

The last two tanks both measured 40 plus a little decimal change (I know, redundant...).

I have non-modified SE1 Slip-on's, RT with 105GY001-A0.MT2 (from the new B version of the RT disk) uploaded to the ECM, K&N filter, not running topless, 30T.

I left the air box cover on so that it would run towards the rich side, until I can get it onto a dyno for detailed tuning. I do notice that the header pipes on both cylinders are bluing more then when I was running factory stock. Did I upload the correct mapping for my configuration? I got 300 miles on this configuration over the last week.

The performance has been excellent under all load and driving conditions (WOT acceleration, throttle roll on and off, etc). It definitely feels like it picked up a little additional torque. The sound is a definite improvement! I got V-Mods arriving early next week -- sent out the stock mufflers when the SE's arrived.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orest,

That's the correct map but it's made to run topless. The blueing is cumulative. You may simply be seeing the normal color progression of the pipes. The topless effect will only help you out under high throttle situations, around town and at cruise there's plenty of air getting to the engine.

Mark

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mark
Just got back from SPI Rally where I travelled about 900 miles in total. At 80 mph I averaged 24 miles per gallon. At 70 I got 26 MPG. Coming back at 90 mph, I just kept a look out for every gas station.... When my bike was stock I averaged 42 mpg.
I have a PC3 with the 020 download, topless, k&n a/c and v mods. I will be spending some time this week tweaking her on my dyno as she is running quite rich.
Derek
P.S. At the rally I counted 12 v rods. Not bad.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Derek,

Wow, that's way too rich. You shouldn't see much less than a 10% drop off in fuel economy due to the increased flow of the pipes and air cleaner. Put some tape on the throttle and throttle housing and mark it for position. Mark 0 then 100, take off the tape and break it down into increments of 1/2 to get 0, 25, 50, 75 ,100 marks. Put the tape back on and go for a ride. Do a combination of the majority of the type of riding you do making mental notes of the throttle position and RPM. Do this again for your cruise speeds. Use those measurements to find the areas of the PCIII map that you'll need to lean out. It's a start but without an AFR you'll be shooting in the dark.

Another "seat of the pants trick" is to find the point where the throttle feels sluggish. Back off the AFR in the area you identified in the first test then go for a ride. If the throttle still feels soft, meaning the bike doesn't "jump" when you get on it a little then back off some more until you feel a difference in throttle response then go back up 1/2 of the last decrement to see if you overshot. It's a pain in the a** but it's the only way you are going to find the lost fuel economy short of a good bracketed dyno run.

Mark

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mark
Thanks for the info. I have a dyno in my shop and will make my own map. I installed the PC3 the morning I left so I had no time to tune it. At least I know it only gets better from here.
Cheers Derek

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Derek,

I'd still do the cruise calibration test to get the RPM vs. throttle that you're cruising at just to tweak the last bit of fuel economy out of the package. You're right, it only gets better from here.

P.S. Wish I had a Dyno in my shop ;)

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
When I first put the supertrapp,pcIIIr,k+n,and topless with the pc map for 12 discs and cap.I got about 80miles per tank.2 trips later to the dyno I'm averaging around 40.It will go down a little,because I'm going back to the dyno again to get back the power we lost and more.

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
More questions than mileage...

Having recently found this forum, I now pause here frequently to search the bits for wisdom and to try to force this feeble mind to grasp as much info about my bike as I can. So much info...... I have a problem? depending on your point of view... I have an '02, stock ECM. Just installed the PCIIIUSB, K&N topless and V&H Powershots. Problem is, mileage went in the toilet....
I downloaded the -027 map, PC installation went perfect, just like they said it would....Prior to the mods, I could easily get 130 miles to a tank. First tank after the mods I was sweating getting back home after only 80 miles. WHEW! I expected a loss in mileage due to the performance gains, just not this drastic.
I will definately try some of the seat of the pants methods of inching the mileage back up, but, are there any maps, available for download, which have been tweaked to increase mileage running this setup?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
DeltaSS said:
Having recently found this forum, I now pause here frequently to search the bits for wisdom and to try to force this feeble mind to grasp as much info about my bike as I can. So much info...... I have a problem? depending on your point of view... I have an '02, stock ECM. Just installed the PCIIIUSB, K&N topless and V&H Powershots. Problem is, mileage went in the toilet....
I downloaded the -027 map, PC installation went perfect, just like they said it would....Prior to the mods, I could easily get 130 miles to a tank. First tank after the mods I was sweating getting back home after only 80 miles. WHEW! I expected a loss in mileage due to the performance gains, just not this drastic.
I will definately try some of the seat of the pants methods of inching the mileage back up, but, are there any maps, available for download, which have been tweaked to increase mileage running this setup?
Get it to a Chassis Dyno and quite fooling around with GENERIC Down Loads! :2cents:

P.S :vrodforu:

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Im at around 33-35 with V-mods, Se filter, PCR3 and front cut off aircover to force more air in. I just have the basic map still for the V-mods 020. I do think that I get better know then Before I cut the front off I took a trip to Myrtle and found I could go further then I have before. Around town I have no clue what the milage is, im trying to run as wide open as I can when I can so im sucking up the gas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts