Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever noticed that if you fill up the stock tanks to the brim, and even slightly over, that if you let it sit there for a few moments it will begin to leak fuel from under the gas tank from a little spout??

Who knows what that is and why it does that?

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
I'm guessing that cold gas turning to hot gas expands and has to go somewhere in the event it's full or overfull.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Yes that is the tank vent and if you stuff the tank full on the stand the vent is actually below the full level so it will work it's way out the vent. I usually don't fill mine past the bottom ring of the fill neck just for that very reason.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Fuel Leak

Max said:
Yes that is the tank vent and if you stuff the tank full on the stand the vent is actually below the full level so it will work it's way out the vent. I usually don't fill mine past the bottom ring of the fill neck just for that very reason.
:them:

I had this happen to me once, since then I have not tried to fill the bike to the top.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it was some kind of drain for that specific reason but I just thought I'd ask the experts. Guess I'll have to learn how not to overfill and waste a tenth of a gallon due to high prices:broke:

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts