Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have recently home modded (removed inner mufflers) the stock pipes on my 06 nightrod. Also I changed the stock airfilter into a K&N airfilter, this topless.

For the powercommander, I used the Kanga2754 map, which was posted on this forum earlier. But now it seems that the bike uses a lot more fuel. I could normally ride +- 200km (125 miles) with a full stock tank. Now it will be around 175km (108miles).

According to me, the settings of this map are not ideal to me, because the better the fuel injection is adjusted, the harder the bike will go AND the lesser the fuel usage will be.

Is my reasoning correct? If you adjust your powercommander correctly, does the bike go a lot harder? Does this affect your fuel consumption in any way?

If anyone has a good map for a 06 nightrod, K&N, topless, home modded stock pipes, please feel free to post it.

Thx
 

·
Kicking cancer's ass
Joined
·
969 Posts
More air intake + more fuel = more pull

I do think the Kanga map looks a touch rich, though.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
You should be getting 35-40mpg with that map. Considering that you are adding fuel at any given thottle position, vs stock, it's not bad.

The reason you were getting better mileage stock, is because the bikes are tuned pretty lean from the factory. FWIW.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
rjrivero said:
You should be getting 35-40mpg with that map. Considering that you are adding fuel at any given thottle position, vs stock, it's not bad.

The reason you were getting better mileage stock, is because the bikes are tuned pretty lean from the factory. FWIW.
One more thing: If you can keep the cruising RPM's around 4000-4500 you'll notice better fuel economy. This is the usual cruizing RPM Programmed into that map. FWIW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
If you're really that concerned then I'd deffently take it to a good tuner and tell him you are concerned with the fuel mileage and he will tune accordingly. I tuned an 05 VRod today and noticed it was really lean in the cruising areas so I tuned a little leaner than I normally would because I was afraid the person would see poor fuel mileage. Even though it's set a little leaner, it's still safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're right, I've done a few tank stops now and if I ride it in a normal way, I have a better fuel economy. When I just installed the map, I rode it like a maniac, and apparantly, once you go above the 4500rpm, it's like me on a friday evening - very thirsty. If you ride it in a easy way, I can do even a better mileage.
 

·
The Engineer
Joined
·
316 Posts
I used the Kanga map in my R and it's great. The bike is literally transformed.

I know for a fact that I'm getting worse mileage than before, but it is directly proportional to the position of the ol' throttle hand. I thought I loved the bike when it was bone stock.....

:angeldev:
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
Strokerswild said:
I used the Kanga map in my R and it's great. The bike is literally transformed.

I know for a fact that I'm getting worse mileage than before, but it is directly proportional to the position of the ol' throttle hand. I thought I loved the bike when it was bone stock.....

:angeldev:
It is amazing the difference between stock lean and a fuel managemnet device with a healthy tune. It is like a new bike afterward.
 

·
The Engineer
Joined
·
316 Posts
Spaz said:
It is amazing the difference between stock lean and a fuel managemnet device with a healthy tune. It is like a new bike afterward.
No doubt. I could tell a difference even upon startup and at idle.

Once again, the old adage "stock sucks" rings true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are all right, it runs a lot better, but the fact is still that I can drive 20 miles less with a tank. And I already hab to stop for fuel so much with that small tank...
 

·
Insane inda membrane
Joined
·
13,005 Posts
rjrivero said:
One more thing: If you can keep the cruising RPM's around 4000-4500 you'll notice better fuel economy. This is the usual cruizing RPM Programmed into that map. FWIW.
Oh yeah, so now you're gonna try to convince us that YOU cruise at 4000-4500 on the freeway... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If my recollection serves me, I'd say you're about 500 rpm shy of the truth... :hidesbeh:
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
LL Cool K said:
Oh yeah, so now you're gonna try to convince us that YOU cruise at 4000-4500 on the freeway... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If my recollection serves me, I'd say you're about 500 rpm shy of the truth... :hidesbeh:
Well, that depends on how much gas money I have at the time. ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top