Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight vibration coming up through the handlebars from the front wheel when riding in a straight line, mostly at 40 mph and faster. Lean either way and it goes away. I had a badly warped rotor and had both replaced about 2,000 miles ago. I read the threads on warped rotors and about cleaning the calipers and pistons and might give that a try. Has anyone else experienced this vibration? Its slight and more noticable on very smooth road surfaces. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
I have a slight vibration coming up through the handlebars from the front wheel when riding in a straight line, mostly at 40 mph and faster. Lean either way and it goes away. I had a badly warped rotor and had both replaced about 2,000 miles ago. I read the threads on warped rotors and about cleaning the calipers and pistons and might give that a try. Has anyone else experienced this vibration? Its slight and more noticable on very smooth road surfaces. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Are you saying this happens when applying the brakes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not when braking so far. That would indicate to me that the rotors have gone off again. This is a slight but noticable vibration in the handle bars when traveling at speed in a straight line. Lean left or right and it goes away. Slow down and it goes away. The more I write about it I'm thinking it might be one or both of the calipers (pads) dragging against the rotors. Its the fact that it stops when leaning that has me stumped. i was thinking it might be a wheel bearing but there is no noticable wobble in the wheel. Thanks.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Not when braking so far. That would indicate to me that the rotors have gone off again. This is a slight but noticable vibration in the handle bars when traveling at speed in a straight line. Lean left or right and it goes away. Slow down and it goes away. The more I write about it I'm thinking it might be one or both of the calipers (pads) dragging against the rotors. Its the fact that it stops when leaning that has me stumped. i was thinking it might be a wheel bearing but there is no noticable wobble in the wheel. Thanks.
Sounds like uneven tire wear to me. I would pull the front wheel and feel the bearings just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Check your front tire -- is it cupped? This is often a problem with many bikes including the vrod.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too have noticed a vibration between 40-45MPH. Mine is caused by the tire. I noticed by rubbing the treads down the center of the tire that it is not wearing properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like uneven tire wear to me. I would pull the front wheel and feel the bearings just to be sure.
I agree its the front tire. My R had a severe case of head shake at 100+ early on. The front tire looked good but it wasn't. Don't even think about trying to go two rounds with the same front when replacing the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts