Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Loves to ride fast..
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my question is, just how important is it to replace the bolts when I change my front rotors on my now 10,000 mile 2006? Why could'nt the original bolts be used? Could they warp too or is it HD wants more money for parts? Not that I don't love to throw away my cash, just particular where I spend it:angeldev:
Thanks for your advice....

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but....

:vrodforu:

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Spend a couple bucks and replace em. They seat nice and tight on the first install but not afterward. I guess you could use some locktite..

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
The manual says to replace them but I have reused them more than once, just add a dab of loctite. The new factory ones you buy will have loctite pre-applied.

Mike

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts
They are single-use torque bolts for a more precise and proper fit to the floating rotor system...or so HD indicated and I cannot recall where. Once torqued, they do not offer the same precise fit as a new set and, if re-used, may affect braking longevity/performance. I wouldn't save a few bucks to take a chance with my brakes by reusing single-use bolts.:2cents:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Bmeister said:
They are single-use torque bolts for a more precise and proper fit to the floating rotor system...or so HD indicated and I cannot recall where. Once torqued, they do not offer the same precise fit as a new set and, if re-used, may affect braking longevity/performance. I wouldn't save a few bucks to take a chance with my brakes by reusing single-use bolts.:2cents:
Welcome to the forums. Bmeister has the offical party line rule on the bolts. They are indeed single use bolts. They come with that waxy locktite on them. You'll find most of the engine fasterners are single use also, as well as the nut for the front pulley flange, and the clutch nut. Alot of the critical fasteners are single use.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
VGirl said:
So, my question is, just how important is it to replace the bolts when I change my front rotors on my now 10,000 mile 2006? Why could'nt the original bolts be used? Could they warp too or is it HD wants more money for parts? Not that I don't love to throw away my cash, just particular where I spend it:angeldev:
Thanks for your advice....
You need to change rotors w/ only 10,000 miles on your bike?????

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
many won't risk re-using, many (including myself) have re-used without problem..... welcome!!!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
You need to change rotors w/ only 10,000 miles on your bike?????
By the time I had 10K on my bike, I changed rotors 3 times..........I changed them to new wheels ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts