Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of a method for aligning the forks with the front wheel but Im not sure of the sequence. You loosen the axel pinch bolts and then bounce the forks up and down with the handlebars. The theory is it self centers. Then retighten the pinch bolts. Anyone else heard of this? Do you also need to loosen the axel first? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Take the bike off off the ground remove the wheel and fender etc. drain the oil and remove the spring Push the fork up to full travel now slowly pull it down you will feel the action with out the spring or oil, should be no stiff and or binding spots. if ever thing is okay.

replace the wheel and axel, tighten the axel nut, raise the suspension to full travel and let it fall it should be free of binding, if you now have a problem check the axel may be ever so slightly bent.

Now tighten the axel pinch bolts raise the forks again and check for free easy movement on return. Good idea to now mark the axel position for future reference. Add the guard and check again now replace the brakes and make sure the barkes are fitted correctly and shimmed if required. Check everything is still free if so replace the springs and oil.

For fine tuning of springs or adding a gold valve emulator etc you should have a suspension guru do it.

Good luck just take your time.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Rich I've heard of your method and use it myself on occasion, but with some additional steps. I will loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork sliders and loosen the axle nut before bouncing the bike. Before tightening thins up I will suspend the front tire off the garage floor. First I tighten the pinch bolts on the axle nut side of the fork. Next I tighten the axle nut itself to spec. This allows the other fork leg to float free on the axle as the axle nut is tightened ( I believe I learned this from my 1980 Sportster service manual ). Only after the axle nut is tightened will you tighten the pinch bolts on the fork slider opposite the axle nut.
Now, if you have the front wheel off for a tire change the quick way to check for fork alingment it to replace the axle in the fork with the front wheel off and try to turn it by had. If it turns easily you can be certain everyting in the front end is lined up.
If loosening the pinch bolts and axle nut doesn't align things you may have to loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts with the front tire suspended and physically turn the fork tubes in the triple clamps to relieve any binding that may be present. Always tighten from the top triple clamp down, although I note Harley has a specific pinch bolt tightening sequence for the Street Rod I obviously defer to in this instance. On some Big Twins he fork leg is secured to the top clamp by the top nut of the fork leg. My old Sporters and R-100 BMW's were this way too. You would only loosen the bottom clamp pinch bolts and the axle nut and pinch bolts to align the fork legs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts