Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a probably stupid question, but here it goes. I have a 2003 Anniversary edition and was wondering if the handle bar turn signals are always on or off during riding. They work fine when I turn the signals on, but one is on and one if off when I'm riding. If they are suppose to both be on, where would my problem be? I switched the bulbs around to make sure the filament wasn't broke, and it stays with the right side always off, and the left side always on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can't say about the 2003 but my 2013 RGC and 2017 Muscle stay on all the time. I think they should be on. I'd get a service manual but it sounds like a light socket problem with the one that is not on. Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the socket?

Mind you these are only guesses as I do not know your bike but wanted to try and help. Also note that my wife says I'm full of it :)

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
the bulbs should be dual element, one for running lights and one for the turn signals. This explains why turn signals work but the running light does not. There is probably a bad socket connector or wiring failure.Get your self a voltmeter and probe the socket contacts. One of them should have 12V continuous with the ignition on. The other should flash voltage when you hit the turn signal switch.
The connector maps out like this (Taken from a 2003 Service manual)
'
Pin 1 Ground for right lights (Black)
Pin 2 Right turn signal feed (Brown)
Pin 3 Right Switched 12V (Blue)
'
Pin 4 Left Switched 12V (Blue)
Pin 5 left turn signal feed (Violet)
Pin 6 Ground for left lights (Black)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.