Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my kit(Frt T/S Relocation) and want to move my turn signals. If I open the Instrument Console is the wire long enough to reach the bottom "Triple Clamp" which is next to the head lamp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not get an answer quick enough so I learned the answer is Yes.
Remove the top instrument "Clam Shell" 2 ea, 3mm Allen Wrench access from the bottom plate.
Remove the bottom instrument "Clam Shell, 2 ea, 4 mm Allen Wrench, access from via the top between handle bars and wiring harness.
Cut the plastic lacing tie,(Save this tie) then disconnect the turn signs by pressing the center of the plug while pulling out gently. Pull on the connectors not the wires.
Put old socks on the turn signing so you don't scratch.
Make note of the color code of the left or right signal or put a piece of tape on one lamp so you know what side the lamp get's remounted to.
Remove turn sign lamp and "holder" hardware from the bottom of the mirrors.
To reinstall in new location, I think it's best to do one side at a time.
Remove the bolt from the "triple clamp" top one or bottom one and replace with new hardware. Mount lamps and follow the "Head Light" wiring harness to run the cable back to the instrument panel. Used the old back tie to lace the turn signal cable to the head light cable. Plug in the lamp and relace the harness with a new lacing tie.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Now if you could just hide the wires.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank,
Your installation beats mine hands down...how did you hide the wire. I was joking with Max about Flash having 4 turn signals but you actually did it. Do you have signals in your mirrors too?

You must have machined the center out of you bolts?
I would worry about strenght in the "triple clamp"

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Big One - SR make sure to add MonsterMaxx since Max is a different person. LOL

·
2,552 Posts
I machined out a hole just large enough to fit the wires. The bottom lights are driving lights. I just was not happy with the stock head light illumination. I tried different bulbs and just did not get what I wanted, so I installed driving lights with 55 watt bulbs and they sure do light up the road. I was able to get the recommended torque on the triple tree bolts. The small Kuryakyn LED turn signals (top) and the Kuryakyn halogen driving lights (bottom) were available with a 5/16" or 3/8" threaded female opening. The 5/16" that matched up with the turn signal relocate bolt ran the wire out the back of the housings (as in the stock turn signals). The 3/8" ran the wires thru the threaded opening. I did not want to see any exposed wires so I cut the 5/16" stud off the turn signal relocate bolts, machined it out to accept a high strength stainless steel 3/8" threaded stud, threaded it, machined a hole thru it, and ran the wires. The wires are not visible.:2cents

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
I just saw this thread someplace else. Hey Frank, uhm... cool bike... and everything. But where are the wires dude? Not enough wires. Go add some more wires and let's see it then.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Frank,

Looking at Kuryakyn's website, I only find the lights with 35watt bulbs, could you provide me with a part number for the 55watt ones? They look awfully similar to lights used on track light applications in homes...

I plan to install driving lights on my triple tree, relocate the front signals to a Eurocomponenets license plate bracket and use Kellermann bar end signals.

Hopefully the electrical system has enough oomph for all of this!

Great install in yours, where did the wires go????

·
Registered
130 Posts
SR-where did you get the relocation bolt kit from?i ordered the kit from V-Mod and chris called me and said theyre back ordered with no ship date.do you have another source?any help would be greatly appreciated. jay

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whitelighter came over to the house last night to relocate his lights and noted that one of his lamps was de-laminating. He has the "smoke gray" lens and the bulbs are yellow...just something to watch for. I expect some moisture has creeped into the turn signal lamp. We both agreed that a little "RTV - Silicone" applied near the wire going into the lamps my curtail the moisture.

SR
P.S. Support VRod Forum Sponsors...if they are not a sponsor, then support the site by telling them where you heard about their products.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Could you do this again?

Frank Storms said:
I machined out a hole just large enough to fit the wires. The bottom lights are driving lights. I just was not happy with the stock head light illumination. I tried different bulbs and just did not get what I wanted, so I installed driving lights with 55 watt bulbs and they sure do light up the road. I was able to get the recommended torque on the triple tree bolts. The small Kuryakyn LED turn signals (top) and the Kuryakyn halogen driving lights (bottom) were available with a 5/16" or 3/8" threaded female opening. The 5/16" that matched up with the turn signal relocate bolt ran the wire out the back of the housings (as in the stock turn signals). The 3/8" ran the wires thru the threaded opening. I did not want to see any exposed wires so I cut the 5/16" stud off the turn signal relocate bolts, machined it out to accept a high strength stainless steel 3/8" threaded stud, threaded it, machined a hole thru it, and ran the wires. The wires are not visible.:2cents
Frank, that is very resourceful... The driving lights are exactly what I'm looking for as well. Is there any way I could convince you to machine up another set of these? I would gladly pay for your services...
I assume the only real cost are the DP relocators, the 3.8 stainless stud, and machinign time.
You should consider making these as a kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts