Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my '07 VRSCDX the front tire wearing unevenly. Th left side wears faster than the right side. I thought maybe the factory tire was out of round. I replaced it with a Metzler ME880 and the same thing is still happening. I took it to my very knowledgeable HD mechanic and he tested everything. All is in tolerance. He even called the factory and they say they haven't heard og this problem.
Meanwhile it's still wearing funny.
Has anyone else had this problem. If so if & how did you solve the problem?
HELP!
Night Rod Rider, Bobby

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
This is known to happen with Dunlops, but I haven't heard of it with Metzlers. I have Metzlers on mine, with no problems.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
same happened with the duncraps, switched to metz, no problem, now have avons, so far so good. wonder if something out of wack in the rear or the engine allignment thingamajig could be throwing it off.???

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
Make more right turns.........

I have a problem with my '07 VRSCDX the front tire wearing unevenly. Th left side wears faster than the right side. I thought maybe the factory tire was out of round. I replaced it with a Metzler ME880 and the same thing is still happening. I took it to my very knowledgeable HD mechanic and he tested everything. All is in tolerance. He even called the factory and they say they haven't heard og this problem.
Meanwhile it's still wearing funny.
Has anyone else had this problem. If so if & how did you solve the problem?
HELP!
Night Rod Rider, Bobby

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Bobby, can you say: "look mom, no hands" without crashing?
What I try to say is: is everything well aligned?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Bobby, can you say: "look mom, no hands" without crashing?
What I try to say is: is everything well aligned?
:them:
check your "fall-away" If you let go of your bars while riding and your bike does not continue to track straight and true, you may have other issues. What type of miles are you getting out of your front tire?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Not to be smart, but are you keeping your tire pressure at it's spec pressure?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cycorod, thanks for your reply. I got about 8500 miles out of thee front and about 12000 out of the rear. I've already done the tracking thing and it rides true & straight.
Believe me I have tried everything I can think of but I'm sure someone some day will figure it out (hopefully)
Thanks very much for your imput
Bobby

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
then I'm going to say it's due to the crown of the roads

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
I run 42 psig air pressure in front and rear tire and get around 20,000 miles each out of tires and no more cupping on front and long lasting results. Front braking alot and road crown and left turns alot can have some wear but I use shifting down to slow down bike to below 20 mph and then use brakes.Yes I do at least the speed limit and run the machine through the gears.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Interesting differences, for me it's Front tire (2.6 bar) about 8.000 miles, Rear Tire (3 bar) about 4.000 miles

·
Alex
185 Posts
I had this same problem, when I had my oil changed in the front they noticed a small piece missing. I don't recall what the piece was exactly, but I'll take a look at the service manual when I get home. The right side was missing and this caused my right side to wear out faster.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I check the air pressure before I ride almost always and keep it to specs. I ride pretty hard especially the twisties. I have had several bikes and never had this problem before. I'm really perplexed about it. rc4man, I'll take your suggestion and check out that web site & keep my fingers crossed.

Bobby

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I run 42 psig air pressure in front and rear tire and get around 20,000 miles each out of tires and no more cupping on front and long lasting results. Front braking alot and road crown and left turns alot can have some wear but I use shifting down to slow down bike to below 20 mph and then use brakes.Yes I do at least the speed limit and run the machine through the gears.
what brand tire? OP is running Metz, and from your PSI I'm thinking you're running Dunlops.
Don't think I would be willing to do much twisty carving with 42 PSI in the front tire, that really diminishes your contact patch.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Run Dunlops front and Rear and also have ran metz on bike too. Test run tires at 36 and 38 psi and 40psi and still found tires to roll and not make full contact and run true for full contact. Soft compound metz wear out around 11,000 miles. At lower pressure both chapped up on front and more side wear on brake tire.A low pressure tire makes more rubber contact but causes heat build up in tire from friction and and number one noted blew out on cars and trucks. Sold tires for 5 years and learned alot from the differance of compound and treatwear and heat build up and thread design and differant uses. My dodge truck runs good year tires and at 44 psig get 60,0000 miles on them with rotate every 5,000 and balance. Even wear on it when 1,000 lbs in it or empty. Depends some on driving of driver and weight of rider or passenger on bike but never need to air up bike for differant loads. Never put more pressure in tire then it can be rated on the side of tire.Operating manual is recomended minium tire pressure to use. Hope this helps you get the best and safe ride and mileage . I also have my bike tires balanced at install on bike.

·
Alex
185 Posts
I had this same problem, when I had my oil changed in the front they noticed a small piece missing. I don't recall what the piece was exactly, but I'll take a look at the service manual when I get home. The right side was missing and this caused my right side to wear out faster.
The piece missing in my front forks was the "Stop oil lock piece". Forks still had oil but this piece was missing. Weird that everything worked fine without it.

·
"That just happened"
331 Posts
Is there a way to check for any differences in compression dampening between the two forks?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts