Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new front tire on about 800 miles ago and notice that the directional arrow is not pointing in the correct direction. Is this unsafe or should I switch the wheel around so the arrow points in the proper direction?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I would recommend correcting it. The directional tread can have a tremendous impact on the tire's ability to maintain traction in water.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Pull the tire/wheel off and turn it around to correct the direction.

Mike

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Who's the moron that put it on backwards? Thats where you need to go to have it corrected, for NO CHARGE. And if the tire is damaged request a new tire be installed.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Elgavilan said:
Pull the tire/wheel off and turn it around to correct the direction.

Mike
That will put the air valve on the wrong side of the bike causing balancing problems.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
your d*ck will fall off and you'll loose all your hair too with it on the worng way.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Rich Moran said:
your d*ck will fall off and you'll loose all your hair too with it on the worng way.
and then, and then monkeys will fly out of your butt and the wicked witch will dance a jig.:spank:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, but now you suddenly have a "reverse" gear, just like a Gold Wing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
drhooligan said:
I put a new front tire on about 800 miles ago and notice that the directional arrow is not pointing in the correct direction. Is this unsafe or should I switch the wheel around so the arrow points in the proper direction?
As Richard suggested the tire has directional grooves to channel water when it's wet outside. I would turn the wheel around so the tire faced the right way. If it is a solid wheel the core will be on the opposite side but it really makes no difference.

·
I'll Take Two Please
396 Posts
I found this thread on a search. I noticed that some of the custom bikes in magazines sometimes have the tread going the oposite direction than what I've always thought for years; that the tread was supposed to start in the middle and go outboard off the tire to push water away from the tire. Well, I started lookin at my tire that I replaced myself a few miles ago and the tread is going middle to outboard, but the direction arrow is pointing the wrong way. WTF? The rear tire is what I think is correct and I've never seen one installed with the tread going the opposite direction. So, here's my question, do you install the front tire by the tread or by the arrow and what is correct?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
By the arrow, the manufacturer knows more about his tires than anyone else
Ed

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
On motorcycle tires the front tire tread pattern generally runs opposite the rear tire tread pattern. Looking at the front of the tire the front looks like this: /|\ and the rear looks like this: \|/. This is related to the primary torque load on the tread. The front tire is the primary braking (deceleration) surface and the rear tire is the primary acceleration surface. The front tire never sees an acceleration load. There are some "universal" fitment tires that use the same tire front and rear and the rear tire is flipped relative to the front tire.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
stever975 said:
On motorcycle tires the front tire tread pattern generally runs opposite the rear tire tread pattern. Looking at the front of the tire the front looks like this: /|\ and the rear looks like this: \|/. This is related to the primary torque load on the tread. The front tire is the primary braking (deceleration) surface and the rear tire is the primary acceleration surface. The front tire never sees an acceleration load. There are some "universal" fitment tires that use the same tire front and rear and the rear tire is flipped relative to the front tire.
:them: :them:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
stever975 said:
word to yo mother!

i noticed this on my AVON's...i first put the front wheel/tire on just assuming the direction based on the tread pattern then noticed it was backward according to the directional arrow...i went by the arrow and flipped the wheel the other way

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
V-Kit said:
word to yo mother!

i noticed this on my AVON's...i first put the front wheel/tire on just assuming the direction based on the tread pattern then noticed it was backward according to the directional arrow...i went by the arrow and flipped the wheel the other way
I'm not sure what your comment means. I attached a picture of Avon Venom front and rear tires viewed from the front and the tread patterns appear to match what I indicated in my other posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
stever975 said:
I'm not sure what your comment means. I attached a picture of Avon Venom front and rear tires viewed from the front and the tread patterns appear to match what I indicated in my other posting.
i was agreeing with your post and description of the tread pattern and tire rotation...i'm used to looking at car tires where the pattern always goes from the center out as the tire rotates forward so it threw me off when i realized that this was not how the avon's worked on the front tire (i of course realized i shouldn't have assumed after i torqued the front wheel)...what you posted, as far as i'm aware, is 100% correct...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
V-Kit said:
i was agreeing with your post and description of the tread pattern and tire rotation...i'm used to looking at car tires where the pattern always goes from the center out as the tire rotates forward so it threw me off when i realized that this was not how the avon's worked on the front tire ...
OK, just checking. I thought I missed something.

Most car tires aren't directional but many of the high performance tires are. Car tires with directional tread patterns are arranged to better handle acceleration loads. I guess its because most cars use the same tires front and rear and this would allow them to be rotated.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Are Front and Rear tire supposed to match?

I just bought a Metz ME880 rear tire. Am I supposed to replace the front tire also to match the rear one? Or can I leave the stock Dunlop on the front? The front tire has zero miles on it cause the bike is brand new (if that makes a difference). Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Curt9339 said:
I just bought a Metz ME880 rear tire. Am I supposed to replace the front tire also to match the rear one? Or can I leave the stock Dunlop on the front? The front tire has zero miles on it cause the bike is brand new (if that makes a difference). Thanks
It's not a legal requirement and many have only changed rear tires but any reputable mechanic would install matching tires. The front tire is a very critical component. It handles more than 80 % of the deceleration force and a front tire skid is much harder to control than a rear tire skid. If I had a stock Dunlop front tire it would be changed ASAP.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I put 5000 miles on a front before we noticed it was on backwards. I have heard that once it takes a 'set', its a bad idea to reverse it. Don't know if that is an old wives tale or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts