Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DPufahl
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experince cupping on the front tire. I have 2009 F with 5000 miles and noticed the front tire is cupped. The tire still has the OEM weights but I noticed there is 1.75 oz of weight on the front tired. That seems to be a lot of weight for a motorcycle tired. I took the factory weights off and put Dyna Beads in the front and rear to see if tha would improve things but the front tire cupped too deep already and suspect i will have to buy a new fron tire. I should of been able to get 20K miles out of the front. Suspect HD did not do a very good job of balancing the tire.

·
George
5,411 Posts
It is a curse of the Dunlops... Not a balance issue at all. Metz, Bridgestone, Avon are all fairly immune. I have a Bridgestone with about 11K on the front... no cupping, but just about WTFO. I usually see 7K/14K rear/front.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Never heard of this happening.It could be the difference in the gravitation tug in Alabama,or high concentrations of magnetism.
Shhh Al! It obvious he's never heard of the aberration of the local gravitational field North of the FL line..... But if he wears a tin foil hat it will all work out!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Shhh Al! It obvious he's never heard of the aberration of the local gravitational field North of the FL line..... But if he wears a tin foil hat it will all work out!
so THAT'S what you meant when you said you like your pussy gift wrapped

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
in all seriousness, PM Dr Dave. He seems to have great luck with his dunlops and his PSI combination

·
Registered
818 Posts
Anyone experince cupping on the front tire. I have 2009 F with 5000 miles and noticed the front tire is cupped. The tire still has the OEM weights but I noticed there is 1.75 oz of weight on the front tired. That seems to be a lot of weight for a motorcycle tired. I took the factory weights off and put Dyna Beads in the front and rear to see if tha would improve things but the front tire cupped too deep already and suspect i will have to buy a new fron tire. I should of been able to get 20K miles out of the front. Suspect HD did not do a very good job of balancing the tire.
I don't have the weight you do, only .75 oz total and I started cupping at about 4000 miles. Dealer said no big deal. Then went back when the tread started to dry crack in the grooves dealer said not a problem. Now with over 5000 miles the cupping is so bad you can feel it going down the road and the cracking along the thread blocks is getting worse. Summer road construction here has not been very kind to them either.

I decided to go with the Conti Custom Attacks. I had great luck with the race attacks on my rice burner so I figure why not give them a shot on my "F". See here http://www.compacc.com/p/Conti-Race-Attack-Custom-Radial-Tires-Z-Rated/1707002. $356 shipped for the pair.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This thread is useless,but I'll post this up anyway.Harley knew good and well about the Dunlop tire issues on the VRSC's.They do not work on this motorcycle at all.The rears are to hard and the fronts cup.I had mine changed on the 03 and threw them away.On the 07,I had them changed within a couple hundred miles because I could not leave a red light on wet pavement.The warranty company gave me a new set of Metzelers,because they agreed the Dunlops were hazardous.

The first pics are a Metz on the 03 w 7000 miles.The second set of pics are the 07 w 11,000 miles on the same style Metz.The 07 is way past due for a new tire,and there will be a new one on next week..........I think.:)

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
what amazed me the most about the Metz was that even when they were obviously worn, they still had great grip on wet and dry surfaces.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I don't have the weight you do, only .75 oz total and I started cupping at about 4000 miles. Dealer said no big deal. Then went back when the tread started to dry crack in the grooves dealer said not a problem. Now with over 5000 miles the cupping is so bad you can feel it going down the road and the cracking along the thread blocks is getting worse. Summer road construction here has not been very kind to them either.

I decided to go with the Conti Custom Attacks. I had great luck with the race attacks on my rice burner so I figure why not give them a shot on my "F". See here http://www.compacc.com/p/Conti-Race-Attack-Custom-Radial-Tires-Z-Rated/1707002. $356 shipped for the pair.
You need to NEVER go back to that Dealer ever again.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Hey!!!
Dunlops are great........................................................................for tire swings!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts