Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can find excellent front fork kits. i am trying to beef up the handling and am having trouble finding what i need.
i was hoping to find Ohlins for my CX. i have seen around the web but it has ended there. beers on me if i conclude

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Progressive - Shocks and Fork inserts.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i love the look of the ohlins i saw on a v-rod on the net, and those are the best, they say

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Ohlins are great $$$$$$$$$$$ vs Progressive great $$$$ Your call, Your Money! Either will do a good job.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. For the money, Progressive Springs + Screaming Eagle Fork Oil are hard to beat, plus it's an easy mod. Throw on a Superbrace and you have a solid front end.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I had Progressive springs installed in my new chromed fork legs at my 10,000-mile service Thursday, and on the way back, I can't say I felt any improvement...but I still have HD rear shocks.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Nate552 said:
Depends on what you want to spend. For the money, Progressive Springs + Screaming Eagle Fork Oil are hard to beat, plus it's an easy mod. Throw on a Superbrace and you have a solid front end.
:them:

Definitely, a huge improvement! No more front end dive at the stop light!

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My partner in crime, Marco, Put ohlins on his Ducati and yes he spent a months of paychecks to purchase them, but after taking it for a ride, there was a MAJOR improvement from before, like something bite me on the ass,
I know that Harley wasn't meant to go that direction, but, it would be cool to see what The Best in quality front forks would do to the Beast, I saw picts. on the web of a VRSC equiped with Ohlins all around, And it was VERY VERY cool

It those who think they know that ruin it for those who really know

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Actually, if I am to believe a gent named Peter who was the Platform Manager for the Street Rod, that bike was prototyped with fully adjustable Ohlins at both ends and 17 inch wheels. Wille G's put his boot down on those ideas and we have the bike we see today. I met Peter at the Long Beach Bike Show in December 2005 and had a great conversation with him, and I can say I met the person who designed my bike.
My own experience with Progressive Suspension is unsatisfactory. In my case I bought a Progressive 420 shock for my old BMW K-100RS. As delivered it had far too much compression damping. It was misery on certain sections of freeway. Within a month the darn thing locked solid and the damping adjuster worked loose. It had to go back to Progressive. When it came back it was still far too hard. I wanted my money back but the dealer sent it back for a free re-valve. Now it is tolerable but not as fluid as an Ohlins or especially Wilbers. From what I learned, Progressive moved to a new location a bit over a year ago and lost most of their experienced personnel in the move. I would be very wary of their products.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some who knows, thats the set-up i am looking for, where shall i search and who can inform me, I live a few clicks from the builders of Virex, i think ther're called, and the owner is one bad ass suspension expert. they build mostly 50'00.00 Ducati's, Talking with him he said that nothing is impossible, and he would be capable of doing such a conversion for me, to just leave the bike to him for 3-6 months and he would eventually gett around.
He asked me to search if anyone allready had such a set-up done that it would save alot of time adjusting such a radical idea to a harley.
Strange, seems that everyone is only consious to HP and noone is occupied for Handling

Nothing is impossible, it only costs more

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
santeg said:
Some who knows, thats the set-up i am looking for, where shall i search and who can inform me, I live a few clicks from the builders of Virex, i think ther're called, and the owner is one bad ass suspension expert. they build mostly 50'00.00 Ducati's, Talking with him he said that nothing is impossible, and he would be capable of doing such a conversion for me, to just leave the bike to him for 3-6 months and he would eventually gett around.
He asked me to search if anyone allready had such a set-up done that it would save alot of time adjusting such a radical idea to a harley.
Strange, seems that everyone is only consious to HP and noone is occupied for Handling

Nothing is impossible, it only costs more
Most recognize the limitations of the V-Rod. In the corners, you bottom out the radiator shrouds much before you hit the limits of the suspension. The bike is a strait line terror, and that is where most of us spend the mod time. You're right, the ohlins are great shocks. Works makes some for the V-Rod with external oil reseviours. Drop a line to Rico Suave. He did alot of corner tearing before he made the move to the dark side.

RJ

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rjrivero said:
Most recognize the limitations of the V-Rod. In the corners, you bottom out the radiator shrouds much before you hit the limits of the suspension. The bike is a strait line terror, and that is where most of us spend the mod time. You're right, the ohlins are great shocks. Works makes some for the V-Rod with external oil reseviours. Drop a line to Rico Suave. He did alot of corner tearing before he made the move to the dark side.

RJ
I disagree, its useless putting the best brakes on a bike only to have it fall short into a curve.
What i mean is, My VRSCX is ass kicking impressive, Its useless unless the only place you ride is at the strip, to have top quality launches only to fall short, i mean really short into a curve, they invested into stopping power, why not into handling,
I am not complaining,
I really think that the Ohlins would greatly improve the handling, and looks

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Ohlins is a superior bolt on, however I second the race tech with gold valves, when I was racing superbikes I had the race tech in front and fox in the rear and felt just as good as my partners full ohlins. But they were the and R&T ones not the full race, didn't know anyone that could afford those. JMHO...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts