Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm changing out the 30 for a 28 - I have the new flange (to fit the 28) so need to remove old one (30 sprocket is off) - what size is the nut that holds it on the shaft? Will pick matching socket tomorrow... Thanks!

ALSO - an I right in thinking the flange nuts were one-time use - and should be replaced?

Thanks again,

-kjo

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I'm changing out the 30 for a 28 - I have the new flange (to fit the 28) so need to remove old one (30 sprocket is off) - what size is the nut that holds it on the shaft? Will pick matching socket tomorrow...
ALSO - an I right in thinking the flange nuts were one-time use - and should be replaced?...
The output flange nut (7910M) is 30 mm across the flats (requires a "thin wall" socket). Some have used a regular socket with the outside wall ground down to 39.6 mm OD.

The reason this output flange nut and the three sprocket screws (40399-01M) are replaced is because the factory applied thread lock patch is "one-time" use. If you clean up the treads on the nut and screws and assemble with "red" high strength thread lock compound (e.g., Loktite 271 or 272) these can be reused.

Torque for output flange nut is 160 Nm (118 ft·lbs) and for the sprocket screws it's 88 to 102 Nm (65 to 75 ft·lbs).

When removing these fasteners, the torque to break the threadlock compound is much higher than these torque specs. Some have used an impact wrench on the output flange nut (for removal only) or a long breaker bar (≈ 3 feet). If using a breaker bar, you'll need to have a flange locking tool (HD-45331) or with the belt and rear wheel installed, use the rear brake to stop rotation. You'll also need a "three-jaw" puller to remove the press fit flange from the output shaft.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts