Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate them, they are ugly after 100k miles so I am going to strip off whatever the Clear Coat on the outside of them that has become "Murky" is to expose the aluminum under. Question is do I need to Clear Coat them again afterwards or can I leave them "Raw"? (And no I am Not putting any more shite chrome on this bike). I would like the Raw look but if not what over the counter product can I use to clear coat them again?

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
If it were me, I would get them Jet-Hot coated. It is much more resilient than powder coat, and they have a polished or dull finish.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
I think he should paint them teal.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, first get them anodized and then paint them bright maroon.
Maroon for a Moroon is what you mean!!!!! (Watched too many Bugs Bunny cartoons as a kid)

I cannot send them "Out" as then I cannot ride my bike, this needs to be an afternoon dilemma that I do when I swap out the springs in a few weeks.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Then order a used set and set them out.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
I really didnt want to take the whole thing apart either, aint a show bike just should look a bit better up front.
:hidesbeh:

orange and black spray works great!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I posted this link in the polishing wheels thread, but it applies here too.

Give this product a try:

http://www.shineseal.com/

It will seal polished aluminum (and other metals) without looking fake or slimy.

The original product called "ZoopSeal" has been discontinued and this product is essentially the same thing, with less VOCs. Lots of members in our Grand Prix club back in the day used Zoop's, and loved it.

I'm gonna try this new stuff once I get all the blemishes and pitting out of my wheels, and I'll give a full review if someone doesn't beat me to it first. If it's even half of what ZoopSeal was, it's going to be awesome. The Mustang guys swear by this new stuff... In the forums I've scoured, not one person had anything negative to say about it.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Oh Gawd! Mentioning a Green product to a Californian is like parading children in front of a pedophile.

Actually Lux, you may need use some chemical stripper to remove all the remaining coating. Where the rocks don't chip it, it is more durable than anyone would like.
Once clean though Scotch Brite gives a nice uniform matte finish. Then it's either a good prep for some type of recoat, even with a Green product, or can be left as is.
Being on the coast though you'll need to do it periodically to remove the whitish powder look.
Be interested in hearing your impressions if you try that new product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts