Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you do with the stud that's left? Cut it off?
I half ass looked at it yesterday when I was putting my pegs on. I hate cutting something off and giving me a point of no return.... just in case I want to return it to stock, but the naked stud looks like crap after taking the signal off.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
pacanis said:
I half ass looked at it yesterday when I was putting my pegs on. I hate cutting something off and giving me a point of no return.... just in case I want to return it to stock, but the naked stud looks like crap after taking the signal off.
You save the original pinch bolt that came out before you installed the bolt with the stud on the end. If you didn't, you can buy the bolts through a HD dealer.....

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
pacanis said:
Which Re-Lo do you have (H-d / Kuryaken / Brethless ) ???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the kit from VMod. The one that replaces whichever set of bolts you want to replace (upper or lower) on the forks. I threw the box out already so don't know the brand.
The threaded stud I am talking about looks like it would belong to the mirror. It is what is left on the bottom of the lever mount when you take the signal and all the nuts and bolts (pinch bolt?) off. There is a silver, what looks like a star lockwasher around it on the bottom of the lever mount, but it isn't loose. When I saw that stud I just put everything back on because I wanted to go riding with my new pegs.

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
You don't cut it, you remove it ! It will back out and out and you can save it (if you want to re-install it later). The New Stud will then be used to re mount the signal.

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
pacanis said:
I got the kit from VMod. The one that replaces whichever set of bolts you want to replace (upper or lower) on the forks. I threw the box out already so don't know the brand.
The threaded stud I am talking about looks like it would belong to the mirror. It is what is left on the bottom of the lever mount when you take the signal and all the nuts and bolts (pinch bolt?) off. There is a silver, what looks like a star lockwasher around it on the bottom of the lever mount, but it isn't loose. When I saw that stud I just put everything back on because I wanted to go riding with my new pegs.

It's a swivel mounted stud, the nut part unbolts from the Mirror, and you should have received 2 acorn nuts with the relocation kit. The acorn nuts hold the Mirrors on the bars.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I got you....Remove the whole set up that's now holding your mirrors on...Go to the hardware store with your mirror and find some chrome or polished allen head bolts that will screw in from the bottom of your levers and into your mirrors, holding them into place. Following me???

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
groovy V-Rod said:
Most kits I have seen, come with the Replacement ACORN Nuts !
The mirror has a Stud.
But yes, thats the Idear' !
Yeah, your right on the stockers. I have aftermarket mirrors which bolt in from the bottom....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.... I think the acorn nuts are what I need. None came with the kit, just the studs and one jam nut on each stud. I took it apart again, the opposite side, and the threaded stud I am talking about is definitely the mirror sticking through the lever mount. The other side must have been jambed up or something. It sticks about 1/2" through, so one acorn nut might do the trick, or maybe they make longer ones now to accept more threads.
The kit definitely should have come with these, or some kind of instructions saying I would need to buy some.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No 5/16 x 24 (fine thread) acorn nuts at the hardware store so here's what I did.
I took one regular nut and one nylon lock nut, which only came in that gold color in fine thread, lined up the flat spots when tightening and "painted" them with a black permanent marker. It'll work I guess.....

Sorry for the fuzzy pic and the bug splat on the lever :goof:

·
Registered
217 Posts
subscribing.

i just ordered the kury 54-58mm fork mounts. i was hoping there'd be a place to sell the acorn nuts or hd part number.

though i'd rather not spend $100 for an acorn nut with hd. :broke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts