Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , new to the the forum and i have a quick question. I broke the right signal at the very top of the threads on the weekend. Upon rmoving the throttle and cables i find the wiring internalally routed thru thr handle bars( well duh.....of course:) )

The question is there a simple way to get the wiring out to re thrread and remount the signal, as there is available threads still left, or just replace the deal

Schematics would help if anyone has a line on those too

Thanks

Doc hudson

09 muscle

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
:them: Hell, I worry about drivin in Jersey with two mirrors. That's a nightmare.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tapit i am sure, more concerned with the wiring set up and getting it out without damage.. I am not the most savvy person when it comes to mechanichs and have a tendancy to have things snap , break or be lAunched out of of the garage.........anytips?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remove air box panel on left side, remove allens holding controls on bar, loosen allen in front of bar (this is a internal clamp), tug on wire to determine which one it is coming out of bar, trace back to connector which is located under left air box cover you removed, remove rubber stopper on connector, use small tool to disconnect pin and pull wire out.
Install new one.

Your security light may stay on while there is no blinker terminated. But will go away when new installed.

I would take it to dealer since your not a technical guy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remove air box panel on left side, remove allens holding controls on bar, loosen allen in front of bar (this is a internal clamp), tug on wire to determine which one it is coming out of bar, trace back to connector which is located under left air box cover you removed, remove rubber stopper on connector, use small tool to disconnect pin and pull wire out.
Install new one.

Your security light may stay on while there is no blinker terminated. But will go away when new installed.

I would take it to dealer since your not a technical guy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect. Thanks for the tips nbavosa i apprciate it. Got to admit it seems like a bit of a panzy set up for the signal stock on a bike called muscle. Woulda expected something a little beefier..

That having been said it is my only complaint, otherwise its a head turning rubber burning rocketship that i love. Last question technical/schematics diagrams? Are they available online anywhere?

Again thanks for your inzight

·
Muscle A4 HOG
59 Posts
Doc,

I broke a wing mirror off and replaced it myself, it took hours and involved dismantling half the front of the bike. You need to remove the air filter cover and the head light and trace the wire. Then tape a lead wire or piece of fishing gut onto the wire that you want to remove, pull this out of the handle bar leaving the trace wire/fishing gut threaded through the handle bar. Then attach the new wire to the lead wire/fishing gut and pull back through the handle bar and reconnect. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doc,

I broke a wing mirror off and replaced it myself, it took hours and involved dismantling half the front of the bike. You need to remove the air filter cover and the head light and trace the wire. Then tape a lead wire or piece of fishing gut onto the wire that you want to remove, pull this out of the handle bar leaving the trace wire/fishing gut threaded through the handle bar. Then attach the new wire to the lead wire/fishing gut and pull back through the handle bar and reconnect. Good luck.
No offence... but are you kidding me? Hours of dismantling!? Half of front end?? :bash:

only need to remove side covers, remove 2 allens on hanlebar controls, loosen allen in front of bars (on bar, clamps wires inside) and remove a few small pins from connector which is right under side cover. Then slide (use old as pull) new signal wire thru starting at installed location and connect pins.
I am far from being a mechanic and did it in about 45 minutes.. could do it again in half the time.

For a job easy I think your description is way over the top, as I stated no offence to you.

Doc, dont be intimidated.. as I stated dealer will fix... but its good to do your own work and get familar with the bike, warranty isnt forever. Use the forum as a tool and yo will see what I mean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya its not a warranty issue as i gently put it down in a figure 8 race at a rodeo ( i know , i know). Dave's photo tutorial is amazingly clear and concise, so i have no qualms about doing it myself, although i am debating using the kuryakan hollow bolt replacemt that was put out in an earlier forum. Got to admit it is frustrating that a part that could ( read SHOULD) be replaceable ie. The hollow bolt (6$) is not,and ends up costing125$ Canadian, as it is a single piece intergrated into the stem........HD=hudred dollars right?? That having been said.........anyone have a spare silver right hand signal indicator for sale LMAO. PLEEEZE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts