Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Live Free... or Die
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through my manual and can't find the torq values for my '06 Nightrod VRSCD.

Does anyone know the values?

Thanks,

Shane

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
page 2-92..
"apply drop of Loctite 242 (blue) to the five bols that hold on rear brake disc, thread in and alternately tighten to 41-53Nm (30-38 ft-lbs)
just replaced my rear rotor last week

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
page 2-92..
"apply drop of Loctite 242 (blue) to the five bols that hold on rear brake disc, thread in and alternately tighten to 41-53Nm (30-38 ft-lbs)
just replaced my rear rotor last week
What rotor did you go with?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I don’t have a 2006 SM but the 2005 SM says the front brake disc bolts should be tightened to a torque of 16 to 23 ft•lbs (21 to 31 Nm). Info is in chapter 2.
2005 are not Brembo brakes, 2006 & newer are

I just went with the stock rotor. Got it new for 50 bucks delivered, hard to turn that down. Next time around I'm going w/full floating rotor, not sure if it will be Galfer or VRSCF.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I have had a problem with my front right side rotor for some time now being slightly loose even though I have taken it off and re-torqued it to spec a few times now. It moves ever so slightly forward and back. The left side front is tight to the wheel but not the right side, never has been. I have seen in the manual that they say to change the bolts and washers if you take the rotor off. Anyone have this problem ? It does not seem to effect the braking any but I am sure that over time it will start to take some of the metal away from the wheel or the bolt collars.
What to do ? Change the bolts and washers ?
Anyone have the part numbers for these handy so I can order them from chicago HD ?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
most don't change the bolts (I didn't). Not sure how many times yours have been out, but if they are working loose even w/loctite, you may want to change them out.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
They are NOT working loose, that is the weird part of this. The bolts are torqued to spec and you can grab the rotor and move it back and forth against the bolt collars. It is almost as the bolt collars ar smaller than the rounded cutouts for the bolts in the disc. There is maybe about 1/16 inch worth of movement there. The disc does not move in and out (towards the wheel hub) just forward back . It is weird. And what I am worried about is every time I brake they could be moving forcing the rotor into the bolt collars and grinding down the hub surface that the rotor sit against.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
They are NOT working loose, that is the weird part of this. The bolts are torqued to spec and you can grab the rotor and move it back and forth against the bolt collars. It is almost as the bolt collars ar smaller than the rounded cutouts for the bolts in the disc. There is maybe about 1/16 inch worth of movement there. The disc does not move in and out (towards the wheel hub) just forward back . It is weird. And what I am worried about is every time I brake they could be moving forcing the rotor into the bolt collars and grinding down the hub surface that the rotor sit against.
Sounds like you have the wrong size bolts and they are bottoming out before contacting the rotor firmly.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
they are muscle wheels and 06 R bolts and rotor but from what I understood the 06 and up are all the same bolts and why is the left side rotor not doing the same thing ??

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
they are muscle wheels and 06 R bolts and rotor but from what I understood the 06 and up are all the same bolts and why is the left side rotor not doing the same thing ??
Try some shorter bolts and see what happens. Maybe the left side holes are drilled deeper than the right side.

Not trying to argue with you just trying to help.

·
Live Free... or Die
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with stock discs and thanks for all the replies. I actually found the torqs in the service manual later after posting the question. Thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have exactly the same problem after I installed new galfer wave rotors. have you found any solution to the problem? maybe I have one with manufacturing defects...

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong size bolts and they are bottoming out before contacting the rotor firmly.
Those aren't "bolts" designed to clamp the rotor to the wheel. They are floater buttons. The rotor should be able to move laterally on the floater buttons, and the spring washers are designed to prevent the rotors from chattering loosely.
On my R, before changing over to XR wheels and VRSCAW rotors, the cutouts in the rotors themselves have worn a bit allowing some radial play in the rotor. If new floater buttons do not cure this play, then the only alternative is a new rotor.
I too have been down this road. Floating rotors all wear this way eventually. They are a wear item. Keeping fresh rotor buttons slows he process down slightly, but there is no foolproof cure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts