Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this bend in my front rim last week that was not there before. Will try to find a place to fix if possible or replace with a used one if the repair estimate is outrageous. It holds air pressure and rides smooth without vibration. Hoping it’s safe to ride until fixed or replaced as it is my daily driver. Rode all last week with no issues and have not had to add any air.

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
135 Posts
Noticed this bend in my front rim last week that was not there before. Will try to find a place to fix if possible or replace with a used one if the repair estimate is outrageous. It holds air pressure and rides smooth without vibration. Hoping it’s safe to ride until fixed or replaced as it is my daily driver. Rode all last week with no issues and have not had to add any air. View attachment 608484
Ouch :( I wouldn't ride it to fast or to far. Can you straighten it with a rubber mallet? It doesn't look to bad you may be able to get it true again with a mallet.
Then use "Ride - On" to re-balance the tire. Safest thing is probably try to replace it. :(

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I had similar dent in my older bike and have to say that material was pretty hard to straighten with mallet. I took tire away and supported rim from inside with wooden blocks and hit it like maniac. Gave also little heat with heat gun cautiously. Not very easy task to get perfect but can be done somehow ok. I am quite sure that wheel must be detached from the bike.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
PM Sent

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
You gotta be kidding me.
If you J-D don't believe that truing vrod rim lip could be pain in the ass I can assure you that it was not walk in the park. More the hammer you give more you start to think that you make only two huge valleys right next to bump. I was not expected that it does not want to go back with the ease :D Maybe it was just a lack of faith...

To me it was only outlook question. Not safety.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've ridden bikes with small dents in the wheel without a problem before. I'm no speed demon though...
As long as holds air and is not out of balance (I use balancing beads on my bikes), and the rim is not actually cracked, I'd be fine riding on it like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts