Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since putting the batwing on the front of my bike, it seems a little squirrely at speeds of 70 mph and higher. Has anyone else with a fairing experienced this? Have those of you with batwings had to readjust your fall away after the installation? I am just trying to figure out why I get the feeling that the front of the bikes just don't have good "footing" at speed and feeling a squirley causing me to constantly have to readjust my steering and back off the throttle some. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Did you replace the recalled nut?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the recalled nut?
If you mean the recall to replace the aluminum stem with a steel one then I already did that. That fixed the clunk sound and feeling that I was having every time I hit a bump.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
If you mean the recall to replace the aluminum stem with a steel one then I already did that. That fixed the clunk sound and feeling that I was having every time I hit a bump.
Don't mean to interrupt but there was a recall on the aluminum stems? When, what models?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't mean to interrupt but there was a recall on the aluminum stems? When, what models?
I just looked it back up. It is actually a Service Bulletin (M1215). My dealership did the work and didn't charge me a dime for changing it out. Haven't had the "clunk" in the front since. Here is a link to the forum thread with the Service Bulletin. It says it applies to 2008 and earlier VRSC models. Also applies to some other HD bikes as well in the event that you own other bikes. We had the work done to my wife's Dyna as well based on this bulletin.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1221734&postcount=65

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Fairly certain the '07AW came with the updated nut
I would double check your fallaway, tire pressure & wear and go from there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fairly certain the '07AW came with the updated nut
I would double check your fallaway, tire pressure & wear and go from there.
Mine had the wrong one and was covered by the TSB so that was corrected, which tightened up the front really nice (no more clunk). I am going to put the bike on the lift this weekend and check the fallaway. I am a little curious though if I should check it with the fairing on or off. I am thinking that it should be checked with the fairing on the bike since that alters the weight of the forks on the front of the bike (I am just assuming so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it). My tire pressure is good and the front tire is still in excellent condition. I have wondered if the fairing on the front might be causing the forks to flex more under the stress of highway speeds. Trying to figure out if a "superbrace" might help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hal64hd, thank you for the correction. Good info for anyone out there with the "clunking" problems in the front. I did discover when I talked to the dealership initially about it that it was not listed in their system under VRSC. I took in the paper to them (after printing it from the forum) and they found it in the system under Dyna. They did take care of the issue though with no problems.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
MJW930 bailed on his batwing. I think it was an expensive Corbin. He sited turbulence as an issue. RJ tried a batwing as well and reported instability.

I have put many thousand miles with my (Kenday) batwing fairing and while I feel a little turbulence following trucks, it is far better overall than any of the three windshields I have used. I have noticed a little instability at speeds over 100 mph, but nothing serious. I seldom travel that fast. I think I have mounted the Kenday lower than the Corbin or Memphis shade mounts.

I find I like the short windscreen, and a full face helmet. The taller windscreen is better in winter, and in the rain, but is noisier due to turbulence.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Mine is not a batwing, but I had to fool with the angle to get it right. If it adjusts, try to tilt it up or down to get the most stability. Remove it to try to duplicate the problem. Isolate the issue, and then address it. Might not be the fairing. Joe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Turbulence was one of the reasons I got rid of my Classic. Just never felt "right" with the batwing. On my Vrod, I got the detachable touring windshield. The tracking is so spot on that when I'm on the highway, I rarely have both hands on the handlebars ( my gloves tell the story-the palm of my left glove looks new). I never take it off except for cleaning.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
surely, any fairing mounted to the front end, rather than the frame,{such as full fairing bikes}will have an effect on the steering.this has to be expected.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input. I will be working with the angle of the batwing in the near future. I have a shoulder injury which has now gotten to the point that, as of last week, I do not feel comfortable with my abilities to make emergency maneuvers. I have taken myself off the bike until the docs can isolate the problem and fix it. Once back on, I am going to work on the angle of the batwing to see if some angles are better than others. Since I cannot ride right now, I am going to check the fall away and then work on shining the aluminum with some Mothers. I have a touring windshield, but I stopped using it because it had too much vibration at highway speeds (too distracting especially at night) and didn't protect my hands during the winter. It is now collecting dust on a shelf because I do prefer the batwing over the windshield. I am sure I can get the batwing to a comfortable feeling because I had it mounted once and it was comfortable on the highway, but I must have remounted it at the wrong angle or something.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might have figured out the problem. Actually it might be a combination of problems. First, I noticed tonight (while adjusting the angle of the fairing) that the left fork tube is 7mm above the top triple tree and the right is 5mm (measuring to the top of the fork tube on the front, not the nuts on top). I also noticed that the front Metzler is showing signs of cupping, with less than 5,000 miles on it. I believe that the downforce put on the front tire from the aerodynamics of the batwing may have highlighted the fact that the tire is not perfectly round any more and accelerated the cupping process. I am going to have the dealership readjust the fork tubes and then order a new front tire. I also noticed from reading the forum that the HD recommended tire pressures are not good for the Metzlers. When the new tire is mounted, I amd going to try 38 psi in the front and 40 in the rear to see how the tire life is effected. I loaned my motorcycle lift to a friend but will get it back this week. When I get it back, I am going to check my fall away to make sure it is within the limits. Thank you to everyone that provided some input and placed posts in the forum on the different issues related to the tires and front alignment.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Do the fall away without the fairing attached!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daniii, thanks for the info. I was assuming wrong. I was assuming that the fall away would be done with the fairing on since the weight of the fairing would affect the point at which the forks would fall away. Good to know information since I have the fairing off for having the forks readjusted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts