Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
motor mount 017.jpg

Well this really blows. Heard what sounded like exhaust hitting the frame and sure enough. Anyone else experience this? Its a 03 and if memory serves me correctly the front mounts were not the best. Needless to say not the job i wanted on my plate right now. Any tips and advice shortcuts etc is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
View attachment 261041

Well this really blows. Heard what sounded like exhaust hitting the frame and sure enough. Anyone else experience this? Its a 03 and if memory serves me correctly the front mounts were not the best. Needless to say not the job i wanted on my plate right now. Any tips and advice shortcuts etc is appreciated.
The normal failure is the rubber in the mount itself (as discussed in this thread) not the studs to the motor mount bracket if I understand your uploaded picture.

Not sure what to tell you except you'll need to support the engine from below and you should have a service manual. Manipulating the parts is a pain but possible.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
From what I see, you broke one or both bolts that serve not only to hold the upper plate of your engine mount but also the top radiator mounts.
It's possible the loosened and backed out, but unlikely, PS, they have not fallen out because the radiator rubber bushings & nuts & cover has them captive.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like i will upgrade to the 05 and up mount while im at it. Looks like a real PITA. Oh well i got time. Anyone know the specs of these bolts/studs by chance?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like i will upgrade to the 05 and up mount while im at it. Looks like a real PITA. Oh well i got time. Anyone know the specs of these bolts/studs by chance?
The P/N for the dual thread studs is easy enough to find (3704M, MSRP $4) but other than being metric I don't know the length or thread sizes (they look to be 10 mm in diameter).

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
You want to order the proper original stud/nut combo,half holds the upper engine mount, the forward half is the mount for your radiator. Order them both from the dealer, you might also want to get the upper plate 16311-01 too just in case the threads are damaged or the remnants of the broken bolts remain.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want to order the proper original stud/nut combo,half holds the upper engine mount, the forward half is the mount for your radiator. Order them both from the dealer, you might also want to get the upper plate 16311-01 too just in case the threads are damaged or the remnants of the broken bolts remain.
Right on. Was thinking the same thing. Parts ordered today, of course not in stock. Thank you again guys.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oil fitting 001.JPG

Anyone know what size wrench(s) i need to get these oil line fittings
off? They bigger than i thought. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts