Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the front cylinder head can be removed and replaced with the engine still in the frame on a 2009 Muscle?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Yes it can but it is hard to do. You'll be faster to pull the motor and it is not real hard to do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing the engine is more intimidating to me. I may try it in the frame first and if that doesn’t work, I’ll resort to engine removal. Don’t you have to remove part of the frame to get the engine out? Are there any special tools required to get the rear engine mount removed?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
It is easier when it is out. Pull the pipes off. Rear tire and swing arm come off. The right side frame rail comes off and slide it out the right side. That the short list on how to do it.

Sadly some of us can even do it without undoing the rear brake hose and have it out in under 30 minutes. With no special tools needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! You make it sound so easy. Just a few more questions answered and I may be convinced. How do you support the weight of the engine and “slide” it out? Also, do you have to remove the radiator? And what happens at the clutch?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Since you have to remove the rear tire and swing arm, you need to have the bike resting on some wooden blocks. You can then slide the engine out using a rolling jack. You'll need to undo the radiator hoses and the oil cooler lines. There is only two bolts holding the radiator to the frame. Remove it so you have more room to work. The clutch you can undo the fitting but then you'll need to bleed it after you put it back together or just unbolt the cover and slave and move them out of the way.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts
corrections,
the engine comes out the left side of the frame.
read manual.
no need to remove swingarm, just pill the pivot shaft out swing arm will move. set a 2x4 under rear wheel before removing the pivot shaft.
undue 4 bolts at front motor mount.
remove coolant pipes. remove entire left rail with everything stgill attatched.
put 9inch flat jack under motor for support and undo all wiring to motor.
undo the 2 clamps to TB and lift off to right side .

lower and turn motor to left side to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.