Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping out my front sprocket to a 28 and need to change the flange, found the excellent video on doing the sprocket but doesn't show flange removal and I cannot find how to in the manual.
Any tricks I need to know before I break the damned thing? Or what they call it in the Manual if its there and not under the obvious subject matter in the index?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
goes back on fairly easy I know my bike had a seal /washer behind the nut you will need a new one 3$ make sure you dont spin the shaft/flange while removing and re installing the flange nut..

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goes back on fairly easy I know my bike had a seal /washer behind the nut you will need a new one 3$ make sure you dont spin the shaft/flange while removing and re installing the flange nut..
Ah so I hold the motor as I did when I remove the 3 bolts on the pulley

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
Fits better. Use care removing the plastic end cap. 3 or 4 slot puller. Easy job. Joe

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know what your impressions of the 28 are as soon as you get a break in the weather and test ride her.:stilpoke:
Of course, perhaps all the parts will be here next week and I can do this. Most of you have 28's in your bikes as after 2004 HD put them in all the bikes ( except for bikes sent out of country according to some Aussies)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I am "Ready" to do this But there is a "Specialty" tool that is discussed in the manual I do not own. $24 aint a bad price, $16 to ship a socket he can blow out his shite stained ass though so I was wondering if anyone has done this Without the socket and just the 3 legged puller?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
Sure have. Use a regular puller with a ball bearing tip, or socket. Easy to do.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Put on the belt and let your gurl sit on the bike and push the brake pedal hard when you tighten the nut to spec. A Little bit of loctite wont do any harm.
Like they said, you don't need the HD tool.
If I recall it correctly the nut is size 30mm, anyhow just measure it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts