Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over bumps the bike feels like I am riding a 2X4, it gives me a good jolt. Is this normal? Seems to have gotten worse lately. Today I notice that the front seems unstable (kind of a side to side shake) when a pull the front brake hard. Ideas?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Have you checked your air pressure lately, just the climate change throughout the year will throw it out a couple PSI. Thats a cheap start.

How many KM's? I have heard of people relaizing the fork oil is dirrrrty, and changing it. Im uneducated in that subject tho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check the head bearings, Mine loosened up,I tightened it up, and the feeling went away. It will make a "clunking" noise if it's a little loose when you apply the brakes. It sounds like yours may be more than a little loose.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update guys.....

I called the dealership today (kegel's in Rockford, IL) and they said replacing the clutch reservoir will be handled under warranty, however the clunk in the front would not be covered because I was told that is was something that needed to be taken care of under normal service and is not a warranty type of issue. Is this true? They want $45 to do a front end adjustment. If this is something i could handle myself, that would be great, I just need to know how to do it!

Thanks in advance!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
update guys.....

I called the dealership today (kegel's in Rockford, IL) and they said replacing the clutch reservoir will be handled under warranty, however the clunk in the front would not be covered because I was told that is was something that needed to be taken care of under normal service and is not a warranty type of issue. Is this true? They want $45 to do a front end adjustment. If this is something i could handle myself, that would be great, I just need to know how to do it!

Thanks in advance!
yes, you can handle this yourself. I don't know the torque settings off the top of my head for the steering nut, but it's a simple DIY that may take 5 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked and called everywhere to try and find the 1 and 1/2" crow foot to tighten the steering stem nut. 1 place had it, will be here on Thursday :( I guess I should have already had one in my toolbox!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
most auto parts stores have them. I even picked up a sockets for that nut and the axel nut at Advanced Auto

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
advanced auto didn't have anything, autozone had a metric set

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your bike is metric
call me an idiot, but why does everything I see say to use a 1 and 1/2" crow foot?

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i think the torque setting is 70 ft pounds ,got my snap on crows ft off ebay 15 dollars , if in doubt check out rsc sig and click on his videos ,theres one for front end adjustment

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think the torque setting is 70 ft pounds ,got my snap on crows ft off ebay 15 dollars , if in doubt check out rsc sig and click on his videos ,theres one for front end adjustment
my bike is an 08, the setting is 80-90 ft lbs of torque, that is a good video as well! Says 1 and 1/2" crow foot, someone else says metric!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmmm. I need to find this vid myself and get me some new tools it sounds like..

I get a small klunk that feels as its in the head, not during breaking, even hard.. but bumps and such happens semi often.. Has done it since day one for me, but I got her with 2k on her, so I was not sure if it was common or not.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm. I need to find this vid myself and get me some new tools it sounds like..

I get a small klunk that feels as its in the head, not during breaking, even hard.. but bumps and such happens semi often.. Has done it since day one for me, but I got her with 2k on her, so I was not sure if it was common or not.
Mine did it off the bat too, but it went away after 1k service only to come back. I tightened again the other day and no more clunk, more stable in the front!

·
Fear The Reaper
1,152 Posts
Would this be under the service bulletin that was sent out awhile back about the infamous clunk? My dealer replaced what the bulletin said and didn't charge me anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts