Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all!

Recent buyer of an 06 Night Rod that sat in storage for a time. Bringing her back to life and have replaced the frighteningly bad clutch and brake fluids already and bled the brakes.

Rear brake is smooth as silk, but the front brake is odd. At the end of braking before a stop (say.. 10 mph and under) the front end bounces if I have the front brake applied.

Thinking this is probably a warped rotor but wanted to see if any of you have encountered this? My workaround has been to just use the rear brake more but I don't want her coming unsettled every time I pull the front

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Morning all!

Recent buyer of an 06 Night Rod that sat in storage for a time. Bringing her back to life and have replaced the frighteningly bad clutch and brake fluids already and bled the brakes.

Rear brake is smooth as silk, but the front brake is odd. At the end of braking before a stop (say.. 10 mph and under) the front end bounces if I have the front brake applied.

Thinking this is probably a warped rotor but wanted to see if any of you have encountered this? My workaround has been to just use the rear brake more but I don't want her coming unsettled every time I pull the front

Thoughts?
Usually front rotors are warped or uneven surfaces. My 13 had that also and it was traced to not actually warped and in spec but on rotor was .0015 thicker in one part of the circle then the other. Replaced and all good since.
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually front rotors are warped or uneven surfaces. My 13 had that also and it was traced to not actually warped and in spec but on rotor was .0015 thicker in one part of the circle then the other. Replaced and all good since.
Ron
Thanks Ron!

·
Registered
155 Posts
well documented problem with vrods. What your feeling is changing friction not a warped rotor. Warpage will be felt more constantly under braking and you would get feed back in handle bars and front end.

Personal opinion original and revised rotors SUCKED! first they are not true floating and second despite multiple attemps you likely will never be able to bed down your brakes. Do yourself a favor replace rotors with lyndall rotors and pads and bed the brakes in properly. While your at it upgrade to stainless steel brakeline for atleast front.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good chance it is the Alum, Triple Tree Stem- "Clunk" issue.
Loose forks feeling
not a recall but a service bulletin with a new Flanged nut that torques down better on the Aluminum Triple Tree Stem/

My 06 D still needed it when I got it in 2016 -
Like a slow speed "clunk" - WTH was that?
Can wear the Fork bearings out...
I got a Harley Shop to do it they did the needed fallway adjustment also
$100. parts and labor.

I put 2 new front rotors and pads afterwards Cured it.

"IF" that is the case:

The loose forks add to imperfections and issues with the rotors/pads.
Maybe upgrading to the Flanged Nut, scuffing the Rotors with a scotch brite pad, and bleed and fill might get clear it up. Pads are probably beat up some from the "bouncing/Clunking? so replacing a good idea.

* SERVICE BULLETIN M-1215 STEERING STEM NUT KIT-
06-08 VRSC Models with Aluminum Triple Tree Stem
new flanged nut 8193 kit 45736-07

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130362

1 - 5 of 5 Posts