Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
vilzrod,

Here's a link to my observations on V-Twin forum. http://205.214.91.71/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5429

In summary, I found that the clunk disapears at at 8" of fall-away. Unfortunately, there is enough binding/drag on the steering that the bike suffers from a slow weave. At the recommended max of 7" of fall-away, it the bearings don't clunk much (only under very, very hard braking) and steering is good.

I've heard rumors that tighting the top triple clamp nut may solve the problem. It is rumored that the '04 model year service manual specifies a much, much higher torque spec for the top triple clamp nut than previous model years.

Paul in MI

·
Registered
40 Posts
Max,

From reading your previous posts, I know your knowledge far supasses mine. I'm a bit confused about the relationship between the notched adjustment collar to set steering head bearing pre-load and the steering stem nut on top of the triple clamp.

I know the clunking noise comes from the steering head. I know that moving moving the notched adjusting ring adjusts the preload on the steering head bearings. I imagine torquing the steering stem nut also (additionally) preloads the steering head bearings.

Are the updated instructions to set fall-away at 5"-7" and then torque the steering stem nut to 90 ft.lbs.?

sospolice,

Fall-away is the method HD uses to set proper steering stem bearing preload. If I remember correctly (it's been over a year since I last did it), with the front of the bike raised off of the ground, fall-away is the total distance that the front wheel can be moved off center before the wheel freely flops over to full lock. So, 7" of fall-away means that the front wheel can be turned 3 1/2 inches to the right or the left (or 3" in one direction and 4" in the other, or any other combination) before the wheel freely flops all the way to full lock.

Paul in MI

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.