Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When applying the front brake, the bike seems to shudder and wants to lose control. The pads look fine. How do you check to see if the rotors are warped? Any Help?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
If you have a bike jack, raise the front wheel off from the ground. Turn the steering to the left or right stop. Place a fixed pointer near the side of the suspected rotor, and spin the wheel. Look for variations in the distance between the pointer and rotor.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have found countless times that "warped" discs aren't. Sand the heck out of them with a good aggressive paper and you will probably find that brake application will smooth right out. Most of the time it has to do with deposits on/in the metal instead of actual warping.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
When applying the front brake, the bike seems to shudder and wants to lose control. The pads look fine. How do you check to see if the rotors are warped? Any Help?
Use a dial indicator.This will let you know.The runout specs are in the service manual.
Once you determine the runout is excessive,then you need to figure if they are warped,not floating correctly or what ever is making the vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
When my 06 acted like this, it turned out to be the neck bearings. It appeared as they were never packed at all, they just came apart. New bearings solved my front end problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When my 2005 B did that I replaced the rotors and pads and its been 1 1/2 years with no problems. Got the rotors at New Roc in New York.
Roger

·
Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
I have found countless times that "warped" discs aren't. Sand the heck out of them with a good aggressive paper and you will probably find that brake application will smooth right out. Most of the time it has to do with deposits on/in the metal instead of actual warping.
great tip, I'd try this first.....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them: I replaced my warped rear, but it was warped from physical damage.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
:them: I replaced my warped rear, but it was warped from physical damage.
And just how did your rear end get warped???
:bolt:rofl2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed! Especially if you just had a period of hard/aggressive braking and then held the brake down when it was hot like at a stop light or something.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
yes bent, but couldn't tell until it was lying on the table. Made a lovely annoying woosh sound

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
My rear rotor has been wooshing for a year now. Guess I better take a peak....when I get time. I better get time soon,because the DOT brake fluid is leaking from under ...again,dammit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts