Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed since the 1st day I've owned my 04 V-Rod, that a slight screaching noice can be heard coming from the front wheel at slow speeds or when just rolling it forward. The noise goes away when the front brake is applied. Is this in fact the front brake pad making light contact when the brake is not being used? What can I do to fix this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
V Rod normal. Some have bought different brake pads that seem quieter.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
This is the pad to rotor noise. Even Big Twins have this issue. It is completly normal. I know it can be annoying. Sorry. Later SKI.

·
Registered
224 Posts
'04 here also. Same problem, just ride! That's what everyone has told me!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Apparently this is one of the "Harley" features even the V-rod couldn't shake.

I've been told all Harley do this. My back brake was dragging for a while but it has quit and now it just howls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Asked the same question of the HD tech who gave my bike the 1000 mile service. He said that it is normal and can also be heard on a quite a few HD models after 02.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a common problem with a lot of disc braked machines, especially around town.
Mechanics usually cure this with copper grease applied to the rear of the pads.
This allows them to slightly stick to the piston and pull away from the disc, preventing squealling noises.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine too...Just got a new '03. Just started breakin riding several days ago (120 mi now) and it did it from the first mile. Was woundering about this myself.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just for some perspective. I had a 97 Honda Valkyrie with 50k miles on it. The front brakes on that did EXACTLY the same thing. A common question on the Valk boards as well. As the Bassist said. I think it is actually "normal" for the disk brake type bikes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have found a fix that worked on my 2002.
I replaced both sets of pads with Lyndall Racing Brakes 7195-Z and while apart I used Brake Quite from the Auto Store. Now I just Hear all the other noises.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
HDRODinMASS said:
:banghead: I have found a fix that worked on my 2002.
I replaced both sets of pads with Lyndall Racing Brakes 7195-Z and while apart I used Brake Quite from the Auto Store. Now I just Hear all the other noises. :ithappen:
Any aftermarket pad will fix it, doesn't have to be a race pad. Just a good Kevlar pad will work. About $60 for a whole set.

·
Registered
75 Posts
its more or a swooshing sound
it is caused by metal on metal contact from the pads to the disk it does it on every harley dont be alarmed i have that asked almost everyday

1 - 17 of 17 Posts