Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any issues with them warping??? I have 2 new rotors to be put on my 06 under warranty was just wondering if this was common.:blahblah:

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
There have been a number of threads here on this issue. It seems like a number of members are having the same problem, good luck with a solution.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 5800, on mine and I'll put a call in to customer service girl at HD MOCO and see if I can get answers

·
Registered
543 Posts
40,000 miles on my '03 A and still got original rotors and pads. No warpage,shimmy, or shake.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
CTMorgan111 said:
anyone have any issues with them warping??? I have 2 new rotors to be put on my 06 under warranty was just wondering if this was common.:blahblah:
Unfortunately I noticed the brake pulsing at about 7500 miles, it has gotten worse. I am dejected but I will replace them, no biggie.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got two new rotors installed today and asked if they had changed from the originals and I was told that they had been redesigned (they look pretty much the same tho) BUT IT WAS VERY NICE HAVING FRONT BRAKING POWER AGAIN lol:angeldev:

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
My right disc wase warped ,so i replaced it .
When torcking up the bolts i noticed one in much deeper.Turned out the springwasher wase broken .
Harley advises to replace the bolts and washers and digard the old, so any mechanic can sell you new discs cause the problem IMHO are the springwashers and the new bolts and washer takes already care of the problem (my 'warped' disc measured 0,01 mm off, the manual gives a max of 0,3 mm)
I think if you carefully inspect the washers under the bolts you will find one or two cracked.
When installing new ones (bolt=$2,20 , washer=$2,20 each !!!) i think you must try to keep the curved side of the washer on the full surface of the rotor itself and not over the groove of the rim/rotor,but i did not try that myself,i will try that on the new REACTORS (on MoCo backorder)

DiscTorxscrews pn# 3762M ,springwasher pn# 6966M

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx, well my new rotors are a GODSEND so far, lets saee how they hold up in the long run.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a new rotor out there (at least they added a A to the part number) and mine feel better that I ever remembered

·
Ex Night Rodder
152 Posts
18,000 miles on my '06 D'rod and I finally took it in due to front rotor warpage. It's not that it didn't need it sooner (at about 10k mi), it's just that I couldn't stand to be off of the bike for two to three weeks while the dealer had it. It finally got bad enough though. Front right rotor warped and headlight bucket rivets shot too. Hellooo warranty!!:deal:

·
Registered
7 Posts
rotors

My wifes 06 7500 mi A is in getting the rotors warranted now. IMHO, the stock wave washers are TOO stiff. My 60K mi. V-Strom has never had an issue with brake pulse. When comparing the two rotor mounting methods, the V-Strom has a very flexible mounting, and the Rod has a very rigid mount( stiff wave washers) I have not been able to source a thinner wave washer yet, so I will keep looking and send a report when i do.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Curious if any of you with warped rotors have looked at you spring washers and mounting bolts? Is the rotor still "floating" or is it bound up?

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still seemed to be floating but I did not get to look at mine, never even thought to ask.:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have an 06 nite rod, and the dealer is taking care of two warped front rotors

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Curious if any of you with warped rotors have looked at you spring washers and mounting bolts? Is the rotor still "floating" or is it bound up?
I checked mine when I had the issue and all was good with the mounting bolts and the wave washers. The rotors really don't float very much at all the way they are mounted. I talked to Chris Wieand last year at the Plant and he told me the new rotors are laser cut instead of stamped and the pad composition is different. When I checked my wheels I found .010" runout at the bosses the rotors mount to. I think the wheels are probably causeing part of the problem as the rotors can't float enough to make up for a bad wheel. I have new rotors, pads and P.M. wheels and have 4K miles with no problems. If they warp again I'm going to a real full floating rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Just picked mine up yesterday from the dealer. 2 new rotors, 2 sets of pads, all new shoulder bolts and wave washers. Bike feels better than new, been dealing with pulsation for most of the time I've owned the bike. I was told by a Harley Rep who happened to be there, that they have had problems with the 10 spoke wheels magnifing the problem even worse. Mine is an 06 A with 6200 miles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts