Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Night Rod Special and the front brake light switch has stopped working, being a not serviceable part I need to replace it.

The part number is:
71621-08

I have read elsewhere that is is actually interchangeable with the far cheaper (almost 1/3 the price) part of the same description:
71590-96A

Because its near impossible to find a picture of the two to compare, does anyone know if they are indeed interchangeable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, It a mechanical switch that it released (electronically closed) when you pull the brake lever.

It looks like it could be a fairly unique shape to fit into the switch housing, so Im not sure just any generic switch would work

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Chicago Harley wants $59.95 for that Switch "KIT" whatever that is. I can't begin to imagine what it will cost our overseas brethren.

Post some pictures along side a ruler for comparison purposes. Might help

·
Another Aussie
91 Posts
Front Brake Switch

I have a 2008 Night Rod Special and the front brake light switch has stopped working, being a not serviceable part I need to replace it.

The part number is:
71621-08

I have read elsewhere that is is actually interchangeable with the far cheaper (almost 1/3 the price) part of the same description:
71590-96A

Because its near impossible to find a picture of the two to compare, does anyone know if they are indeed interchangeable?
Here are photos of the two parts. Double click to view. I will let you decide whether they are the same? They do look suspiciously similar.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
NOw I know why a new switch is so expensive. You need to buy a "Kit" which includes cable ties. Very expensive cable ties.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Before you spend a bunch of money, try this. Take the switch out and hold it in your hand. Spritz a little contact cleaner on the switch while pushing the plunger in and out to work some of the contact cleaner inside. Reconnect the switch to the wires, but do this outside of the brake lever bracket and see if this restores it's operation. Those switches become contaminated with grease, road grime and water from normal use. I have recovered them this way before on other brands so it might work for our V-Rods.
If you do get it to work this way, follow up by spraying some WD-40 on it as you operate the plunger, to protect the contacts from corrosion. The "WD" stands for water dispersant and was developed in WWII to blow moisture out of the electronic items in Navy and Marine aircraft operated in the tropics.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
If it is a pressure activated switch with two spade terminals you can get a replacement at almost any auto parts store. It's either 1/8 or 1/4 NPT male.
You must be thinking of the rear switch. Read post #16.

Before you spend a bunch of money, try this. Take the switch out and hold it in your hand. Spritz a little contact cleaner on the switch while pushing the plunger in and out to work some of the contact cleaner inside. Reconnect the switch to the wires, but do this outside of the brake lever bracket and see if this restores it's operation. Those switches become contaminated with grease, road grime and water from normal use. I have recovered them this way before on other brands so it might work for our V-Rods.
If you do get it to work this way, follow up by spraying some WD-40 on it as you operate the plunger, to protect the contacts from corrosion. The "WD" stands for water dispersant and was developed in WWII to blow moisture out of the electronic items in Navy and Marine aircraft operated in the tropics.
The brake switch contacts are protected by a thin rubber seal. It is very easily torn so be careful if you attempt to put a plastic spray tube inside of it. I found out the hard way and mine has finally failed again.

There is also a very small V-shaped spring that wedges behind the switch when its in the housing. Make sure that it is in place to keep the switch pushed firmly into its nest.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Front brake light switch changed

Well I just replaced mine today. It took my meticulous self 4 hours from start to put away tools. :hmm:

But it works great and I'm confident that I won't have any problems with wire chafing or any other installation problems (all stay wraps neatly tucked away). :)

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts

The part number is:
71621-08

71590-96A

Here you go:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1736304&postcount=1
Next time mine goes its getting replaced with a hydraulic one - having to solder in new switches is just silly.
EDIT - auction link is long dead , so here's the latest from the same seller:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-96-UP-/230598051443

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts