Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my pads changed a couple of thousand miles ago. Recently, the front brake lever seems to travel a little further before the brakes will engage. They still have tons of bite, but the lever moves further than it used to before the brakes come on. One of the local shops said it might need to ne bled, but the pads look fine. Anybody else have this on their 'd'?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
don't have a d, but know the feeling.. I agree with your dealer regarding bleeding the brakes being the issue.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
i think there might be a piston stuck on one or both calipers. rsc has a how to video in his signature on cleaning and reseating the calipers.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
First, bleed the bleedin' brakes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info folks. I made an appointment with the shop and will have them bled on Wednesday. I'm getting ready to take a couple of bike trips to Atlanta and Key West in the coming months, so I really want to get this figured out.

·
Live Free... or Die
28 Posts
I just had this same problems with my dad's bike. I jacked it up and fixed it. The pistion needed to be freed. A little cleaing and getting them worked out fixed the problem. Easy to do it you are a little mechanically inclined. Bleeding the brakes is simple. Shouldn't have to take it to the shop. You could save yourself some money.... Just pay about 50.00 for a service manual and it tells your step by step. PM me and I will help you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just bled and replaced front pads last weekend. Took a few hours, but not working straight through. Watch for a sludge in the master cylinder water and other stuff can settle out there. My Vrod is a 2005 and has 28000 miles, do not know if the PO had ever changed it. The feel is much better, I'll wait for winter to do the rear and the clutch.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Just bled and replaced front pads last weekend. Took a few hours, but not working straight through. Watch for a sludge in the master cylinder water and other stuff can settle out there. My Vrod is a 2005 and has 28000 miles, do not know if the PO had ever changed it. The feel is much better, I'll wait for winter to do the rear and the clutch.
you must physically remove the gasket in the lid and clean above it as well to remove all the moisture.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: You guys talked me into handling this one w/o the shop. With the help of the service manual and a couple of beers, I manged to replace the pads (Lyndall Gold+), bleed the brakes (vacuum-style bleeder), and clean/lube the pistons. Not sure if it was any one of these items or a combination of it all, but the brakes feel much better now. I now have plenty of bite very early in the brake activation range which was the overall goal. Most impressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts