Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would never come to part with my '03 but today I traded it in on a brand spanking new '08 AWA (ABS) in Dark Blue Pearl. :dance:

I don't have a camera and it's sitting in a trailer until I get it home this weekend but it's mine and so far I love it.

I just did a short jaunt around the dealership before I loaded it up but I have some observations:

1. The ABS brakes WORK every bit as good as the BMW ABS system I had on my K1200RS. If you are on the fence and can wait for Harley to ramp up production it's one of the best $795 you'll ever spend on a motorcycle.
2. The Brembo's + DOT 4 fluid make the feel light years ahead of the stock '03 brakes.
3. The 1250 motor has a bit more bottom end grunt but I haven't put enough miles on it to really quantify the difference.
4. The new front end geometry compensates enough for the 240 that the handling feels as good as my old 180.
5. The new clutch feel is a vast improvement and the slipper clutch really does as advertised. It makes downshifting at speed much smoother.
6. The right side axle nut touches the lower exhaust pipe when the suspension is fully unloaded on the side stand. The dealer loosened up the front clamp and pulled it out but it's still VERY close. Not sure if this is an installation issue or a design issue but I'll be loosening up the entire exhaust and repositioning it when I get home.

Again, pictures to come this weekend!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VrodG said:
Mark if your smiling that all thats matters ! :deal:
Thanks and YES, I'm all smiles. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FYI, I need to send a shout out to Bumpus H-D in Murfreesboro, TN. They not only gave me a killer deal they are some of the nicest people that I have ever done business with. They handled everything over the phone and fax, held the bike for 3 weeks on a $500 deposit and took in my '03 sight unseen for a very fair price. Too bad they are 650 miles away. :(

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Mark, I can feel your excitement...congrats, I'm envious Mark.
Mark, you are the first one to say your right axle bolt is too close to the lower exhaust...my '05A has always been that way but it's never seemed to cause a problem or a mark, Mark.
Sincerely, Mark

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Congrats on the nes bike!! You need to come out to theCentral Florida ride in Nov!!

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Congrats Mark. I've been to that dealership, and they were very nice to me there.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well I see you finally picked up the (my) bike. ;) Congratulations!!!!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JinjerSnap said:
Well I see you finally picked up the (my) bike. ;) Congratulations!!!!
I'll take good care of it :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
awesome feedback on the ABS system....nice to here the Moco has designed a ABS system that works so well!...i was abit leary of how it would work,cool stuff!

Dan

·
Registered
684 Posts
I traded my '05 for a '08 and agree with your assessment. I wish I could have gotten the ABS but the Anniversary model was ordered without.
Good luck on your new ride....

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Congrats Mark.

Did you already order the parts to convert the rear end to the Narrow D fender?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts