Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was parked in a torrential downpour, yesterday. When I went to start it, the clock was flashing, like the Maxi-fuse had been pulled. After I shut the bike down, the Tach light stayed on, but dim.

I pulled the Maxi-fuse, and guess I need to let it dry out. I will add dielectric grease to all plugs/connections after things dry out.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your bike Pat. Hope everything dries out and and she runs OK.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She runs fine, just needs to dry out. It rained so hard that the water level, in the parking lot, was over the rims!

Never had water related issues before.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
In Birth of the VROD they show how they put the bike into a chamber and have high pressure jets shooting all over the bike while it runs to make sure there are no leaks that would cause issues like this.

Stories like this make me wonder how good that testing actually is or if there is some seal somewhere that has worn out?

Just thinking out loud. Hope when it dries out you have no further issues.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Birth of the VROD they show how they put the bike into a chamber and have high pressure jets shooting all over the bike while it runs to make sure there are no leaks that would cause issues like this.
I was thinking of the same thing! My IM seems to be dry inside. I pulled both side covers off, to aid in drying.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Let me know if you need anything. I have a complete spare TSSM, ECM, and wireharness.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know if you need anything. I have a complete spare TSSM, ECM, and wireharness.
Of course you do!:stilpoke:
(Thanks, Bryan.:notworth:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
My bike will do that every time i get lot of water on the cluster.I have also noticed that if i push the selector button even a hour or two later the cluster goes haywire If it was wet.Happened about 5 or 6 times so far so i dont mess with it if it was wet.Now I just put a zip lock bag over it while washing it or if it's going to rain hard

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bike is back to "normal". The Cluster was dry inside, with no condensation showing. I'll add dielectric grease to every jack I can find!

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I spoke too soon. My Daughter just came in and told me that the Tach light was on again! I opened the Cluster, and removed the side covers again.

I could not find any wet jacks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Somtimes I point the garage fan at it to dry it out faster or take for a ride on the superslab.I don't know what it's like where you are but here in the Detroit area It's 100 degrees and so humid nothing dries out when wet or takes forever so.........

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Humidity is high, and on the rise for tomorrow. May take it out anyways, with the side covers off. Nothing to lose.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a little cover that attaches under my rear pillion. It is enclosed in a bag. When you park the bike, pull it out and has stretch loops that reach down to the rider pegs. Not a perfect seal but keeps driving rain, dust, sun and prying hands off the seat, clamshell. Several companies make them. Mine from an outfit called Kwikcover. Someone makes a better one that pretty much encapsulates the top of the bike.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have a little cover that attaches under my rear pillion.
I need a Socket to remove my Pillion. You don't?
(I have an "1130cc" Kwikcover, and it is not waterproof.)

·
Registered
509 Posts
You need a hex hex but once it is mounted a nylon tube pushed through the a canvas strip attached to the bag holds it in place. Not totally waterproof, but it does keep downpours from hitting directly on the bike, keeps the sun from damaging the seat.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a nylon tube pushed through the a canvas strip attached to the bag holds it in place.
You lost me.
(I should have typed that I need a Socket to remove the pillion.) I have a SAC bag on the bike, to carry the Kwikshade.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

Stories like this make me wonder how good that testing actually is or if there is some seal somewhere that has worn out?

Just thinking out loud.
HD can not account for mods or changes. Mods in, mods out, mods under the lid, and wherever can change things dramatically. Not saying thats the cause but there's always an issue when factory gets replaced, removed or changed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts