Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving home today, and I am about two blocks from my house.

There is a Harley coming towards me in left lane, and all of a sudden this lady in a Volvo SUV pulls out from the side street on my right, so the guy avoids hitting the suv but goes down. Meanwhile, the lady keeps driving like nothing happened, I look in the review mirror still not stopping....F!!! that!! So I turn around and go after her... I caught up with her pulled my jeep in front of her so she could go anywhere, and I got out and started to flip out on her. She gave me this look like nothing had just happened, so I started screaming at her, probably should not have done that but I did, (she may have been deaf). Tried to calling 911, but ended up with some queens, ny operator. So i took her liscense number and went back to see how the guys was. Turns out the one cop in Kings Point was there already when I got back, but he is like well its not really her fault, and she does not have to stop. So, I am like whatever here is her plate do what you gotta.

Now for the guy riding the bike. He was fine, but he happened to be a local harley dealer service guy taking a customers bike out to check it out...so not sure whats happening with that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That sucks. That was cool of you to go after her and get the plate. No matter what the cop says it could be settled in the courts if need be. To me that is leaving the schene of an accident. I've witnessed lots of accidents and no matter what always stop and see if I could help. Just can't see driving off like nothing happened....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
A Honorable and generous gesture. I am all too familiar with those types of drivers. What goes around comes around good or bad. Good for you bad for her. Karma.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
One benefit of moving up state. We do have nutsy drivers, just many less.

Good job you did there!

·
Registered
661 Posts
ALang800 said:
So I am driving home today, and I am about two blocks from my house.

There is a Harley coming towards me in left lane, and all of a sudden this lady in a Volvo SUV pulls out from the side street on my right, so the guy avoids hitting the suv but goes down. Meanwhile, the lady keeps driving like nothing happened, I look in the review mirror still not stopping....F!!! that!! So I turn around and go after her... I caught up with her pulled my jeep in front of her so she could go anywhere, and I got out and started to flip out on her. She gave me this look like nothing had just happened, so I started screaming at her, probably should not have done that but I did, (she may have been deaf). Tried to calling 911, but ended up with some queens, ny operator. So i took her liscense number and went back to see how the guys was. Turns out the one cop in Kings Point was there already when I got back, but he is like well its not really her fault, and she does not have to stop. So, I am like whatever here is her plate do what you gotta.

Now for the guy riding the bike. He was fine, but he happened to be a local harley dealer service guy taking a customers bike out to check it out...so not sure whats happening with that.
It's not just Long Island, it's NY in general...it's just getting way too crowded...I cant tell you how many close calls I had, :ride: and the cagers just continue to drive as if nothing happened.:driving:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Although, the officer stated that the motorist does not have to stop, I might suggest that he is 100% wrong. If the motorist does not stop, she is guilty of of "leaving the scene of an accident w/ injury involved". Not only does a MV104 (police accident report) need to be filled out but a complaint report as well. She would be arrested when the Detective Unit reviews the case.

PS. Kings Point PD only has about less than 10 sworn officers so what the heck do they know. They should just be directing traffic for the Merchant Marine Academy instead.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am going to dish on women Volvo drivers. The only collision I have ever had in 40 years of riding was with a woman driving a Volvo. They seem to think the road is theirs and no one else's. Bikers beware. I also learned from my collision that most, not all, cops do not know how to investigate a motorcycle/auto crash. And if a woman is involved they will not pay too much attention to the man on the bike no matter what he has to say. One of my good friends is a motorcycle patrolman here is Houston. His advice: If the patrolman investigating the accident is not responsive and you have the presence of mind to demand it, DEMAND the supervisor be called. The patrolman has no option but to call the supervisor. And make the demand in the presence of witnesses like the paramedics, so you have back up. Paramedics do not like it when the patrolmen do not handle motorcycle investigations properly. If the patrolman does not call his supervisor, you call the PD and demand the supervisor appear. The woman herding, not driving, the Volvo in my collision had obviously been drinking and was on the cell phone "chatting" on her way to the next bar. Not only did the cop not properly investigate the collision, he refused my demands for alcohol and drug testing of both of us, because he did not want to "put her through that". Later I found out he was only 1 week out of the police academy, 23 years old and she was very pretty and barely legal to drink. Needless to say sorting the mess out after the fact was VERY tedious and expensive for me. But filing a complaint with the PD did work.....however I could have avoided the whole mess had I called for the supervisor. In Houston, if a driver demands testing and volunteers for it, and the patrolman refuses when there is probable cause, there are unpleasant internal ramifications in the PD.

Sorry for the tenor of this post but this really struck a sore spot in me. I can only hope the poor tech really was ok and he did not loose his job over some one else's callousness.

·
Registered
548 Posts
cool. nice work getting that plate number.if that happen to me i hope someone like you is around! i use to live on long island.i know them snobby north shore people!!!!!! good to hear a story like that.

·
Open up and say AHH!
343 Posts
volvos

ReAD RIDE HARD RIDE SMART BY PAT HAHN. HERE IS A LITTLE EXCERPT.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
knightenforcer said:
It's not just Long Island, it's NY in general...it's just getting way too crowded...I cant tell you how many close calls I had, :ride: and the cagers just continue to drive as if nothing happened.:driving:
Add Jersey to the list. Its the entire tri-state area. This is why I bought a trailer honestly. I just want to get it out of this area to ride...

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Nice job going after her plate to look out for that rider. To bad the officer is able to make a decision/judgment without even seeing the accident. More then a little messed up.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I know a guy that, like you went to run down the offender, forced the person to pull off and parked in front of her.

He almost got thrown in jail- the officer seemed to be on the lady's side from the start and was going to cite him for reckless and threatening her!
She was the cause of a serious accident and was trying to get away...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts