Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Went for a ride today and the weld where the clutch lever is is broke ? not sure if anyone else has had this issue. Can I just re order that part of the frame or should I have it ready welded. Pic is attached
Can't open the pic to see the exact spot, and the clutch lever part makes no sense but as a welder, I've not seen any part special on the vrod that a decent welder couldn't whip up a quick jig if needed, clamp it to eliminate distortion and reweld it.
Ron

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Can't open the pic to see the exact spot, and the clutch lever part makes no sense but as a welder, I've not seen any part special on the vrod that a decent welder couldn't whip up a quick jig if needed, clamp it to eliminate distortion and reweld it.
Ron
It's the footpeg mount on the framerail (gear lever side)
Bike has obviously been laid over at some time and the weld has cracked. This is a very common weakness on these bikes but is no problem to repair. Remove the framerail and take it to a competent welder and it will be better than new. Simple fix.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Yep, looks like it had been dropped on the peg before. These always bend and crack there. I've fixed a bunch of these, left and right sides. It's good when you have a spare frame as a jig to line everything up. I cut out the bad section of tubing and replace with a new piece.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
You know when insurance clowns see that, they love to go and say "that's frame damage, it's a total loss."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you gentlemen for the responses. I went to the dealership and ordered it new. It was pre painted. Should take 1-8 weeks they say.

If anyone else needs this info the part was $368 dollars ?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
If anyone else needs this info the part was $368 dollars ?
:eek: I think I just hurt myself falling off my chair. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll just start buying up a bunch of damaged ones that would get tossed away and splice in new tubing for years to come.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Doesn't happen on D & R models with mid pegs and controls - that's why I went with the fwd. hwy pegs attached to the sport engine guards - they are higher up and don't hit when laid over - plus the cost of new lower frame tubes etc. put me off. Lay over a mid peg bike you may have to buy new bolts for the footpeg adapters as they bend pretty good, but no frame weld damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:eek: I think I just hurt myself falling off my chair. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll just start buying up a bunch of damaged ones that would get tossed away and splice in new tubing for years to come.

Just laid my 03 vrod over coming onto a gravel road, and bent the foot peg frame too. How much for a welder to fix? Harley wants $480 for the part smdh. Supply must be running thin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.