Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the new frame rail on the right side of my A model this morning.
When I removed it I saw a chaffed spot in the insulation around the oil line coming from the filter adapter,this is the hot oil line into the cooler.The hose itself was ok but the insulation had actually started rubbing into the metal of the rail.The insulation has a big hole in it.This would have taken some time but it would have eventually rubbed into the oil line causing a major oil leak and my dumb ass walking.
I was able to manipulate the line over some and get a new piece of silver heat insulation on from a Chevy truck.

Might be something to check on the bikes w high milage.

Elrod on the V-Rod :moped:

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dumped it in a parking lot w a fresh coat of sealer on it and bent the rail next to the weld where the peg sleeve is.It's amazing how strong a person is when nesessary,I snatched it right up w one move.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
George
5,411 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I dumped it in a parking lot w a fresh coat of sealer on it and bent the rail next to the weld where the peg sleeve is.It's amazing how strong a person is when nesessary,I snatched it right up w one move.

Elrod on the V-Rod
So fast in fact, we didn't even get the cameras out!

I had a similar rub and fixed it the same way!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:

Elrod on the V-Rod
Hate to hear it...........

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Al. Sorry about the drop.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Elrod on the V-Rod

Embarassment works like that for me too.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just received my RH frame rail and am about to remove the tweaked one and install the new on my 2004. Is there anything I should be aware before tearing into it? I want to prep for any surprises though it looks to be a straight forward R&R.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
When you remove the old rail the frame will flex a bit so be prepared with a suitable jack to tweak it back into shape. When removing the bolts ensure you can remove them using your fingers. If you have to use a wrench to extract the bolt then is is going to flex.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you remove the old rail the frame will flex a bit so be prepared with a suitable jack to tweak it back into shape. When removing the bolts ensure you can remove them using your fingers. If you have to use a wrench to extract the bolt then is is going to flex.
Thank you. Good to know. I will try to unload the pressure on the part as much as I can in order to finger extract the bolts. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts