Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching on a better way to protect myself/bike than the standard highway crash guards. I am currently looking for some kind of frame "pegs" (like what the sports bikers use on theirs). I am also trying to keep things asthetically clean. Any one else here done it, thought of doing it (found out it wasn't practical)??

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
I looked into this and couldn't find anything. If you are the ONE then please post up your finding!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
They are called frame sliders or just sliders for short. I thought I saw where one guy here made some of his own but I have not seen any kits for our bikes.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Shaggy. Yes you are correct sliders or frame sliders are what I am looking for. This is the only link (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-82061.html) that I could find on this web site (without any resolution). I am going to talk to my sport bike friends and see if I can maybe modify a universal slider to mount on the top bolt of the lower side front frame rail, then mount on the bolt under the seat above the muffler. I am still debating a 3rd location (to protect the upper frame/airbox)... I am not concerned about the front pegs as they flip up and can easily be replaced.. If I come up with something I will definitely post it. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think for upper frame you can probably get enough protection using some of the universal bar end sliders. you would have to cut a hole in the end of your grips but you wouldn't see it after they were installed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The lower front fram rails are intentionally weak. I would attach anything to them and expect them to go un damaged in the event of a fall.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sliders for our bikes would be a great idea. I'm surprised the aftermarket has not made them for cuisers.

I sold my crash bars. I didn't like the way they looked. I would love to purchase some quality sliders that look good and put them on my muscle.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am surprised too that after 9 years someone hasn't come up with a slider solution for the VROD. I will let you all know if I am able to come up with anything

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If someone would donate 2 V-Rods for crash testing and foot the manufacturing bill for the crash cages,I would be glad to head the study of the most vulnerable areas on the bike to suffer during a variety of crashes.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Unfinished Business

Here's what I posted a year and a half ago:

"To make a long story short... I removed the passenger pegs from my rear swing arm and I want to use them on a highway bar. I'd do it myself, but I don't have easy access to the equipment that it will take. Here's my idea:

I want a single bar that mounts to the frame four or five inches above the brake pedal and shift lever, crosses through the void behind the radiator and in front of the engine, and is machined on the ends to the same exact diameter as the exisiting Harley-Davidson peg mounts. I want it black powder-coated, chrome, or a combination of both and I want it sturdy enough to double as a crash point. I will mount my existing knurled, chrome passenger pegs on it so the alignment holes must compliment the riding position, angle, and length of the riding pegs. It must look as good as if the factory designed and manufactured it. Oh yeah, I don't want to drill or scratch my frame in any visable areas if possible.

Is there a machinist/fabricator in the house? I think that these would sell!"

Click here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sliders for our bikes would be a great idea. I'm surprised the aftermarket has not made them for cuisers.

I sold my crash bars. I didn't like the way they looked. I would love to purchase some quality sliders that look good and put them on my muscle.
IMHO, there are some aftermarket pieces for the vrsc. But they are fading. And if you do find a nice part for the V-Rod, you Are paying out of your ass for them. To find something like this for our bikes has got to be impossible!!!! Just my opinion. Nothing more.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looking at my frame and connection options on my F, makes me think that the options develop them and be effective are minimal.

You normally have to pay out the a** to get a product for something which is a fairly small portoin of the market share.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I will look into this as soon as I feel better (sick as a dog!). The biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the downtubes are pretty much "attached" to the radiator. So it would be pretty hard to get something that goes around it. I will have to take a look at it but it may be easier/possible if I made something that attached to the stock bolts of the frame rail. Not sure how much force the bolts could take in a crash though, but one of the guys with my sidemount plate just dropped his bike and the plate didn't break and saved his pipes. And all I use on that are (2) 6mm stainless bolts.

-Keith

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
OK just went and looked at it. Once you get just slightly above the bolts there are a bunch of stuff attached onto the downtube that I would be afraid of disturbing. Once you go below the bolts there is also some stuff in the way. As far as running a piece completely behind the radiator, I am not sure it would work. The header is in the way and then you have to contend with the fan and everything else. BUT, where the bolts are has a little bit of room and the back of that area is flat. This would make it so that the mount could be flat in the back and would prevent it from spinning during a crash. Now I still have to work out the logistics (if the mount is flat on the back it won't be able to slide down to put the bolts in so it may have to be a 2 piece mount) but I think it is possible and will work.

Now the question becomes, what comes out of the mount? If you make it so you put pegs on it they will just fold. If you make it just a round peg, it may look bad. Technically it probably have to stick out 5 inches...

-Keith

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Forget all the protective sliders stuff as they can only help if you go down. Instead...Spend the money on an approved advanced riding class. Just an idea!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts