Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Chrome

Votes: 19 26.8%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK group I need your opinions. :helpme:
With my unfortunate accident there is going to be one positive. That positive is that I am getting a new frame. My question is this. Should I go for a stock 02-03 grey frame, a stock 04 clear coated grey frame, a stock 04 VRSCB black frame, or should I chrome the frame. A couple of things that I would like you to take in consideration is, I am replacing all of the skins (rear fender, air box cover, front fender, and front side covers with fiberglass components) they will be painted in a very dark color. They will look black from a distance. Also I must consider longevity. I plan to have my V-Rod for many years.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated :notworthy

Frank

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Get it powdercoated.There are lots of greys and blacks.Won't nick,chip,fade,and long lasting.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Frank, I personally think that chromed would look awesome with a dark color on the body parts. Eric:chair

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Chrome it Frank. You won't be disappointed.

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ozzy,

Do you know anyone that has the ability to black chrome a V-Rod frame? If so, what does black chrome look like.

Thanks
Frank

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Black Chrome is very sweet and the best of Both worlds!;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Frank, It depends on the look you are going for. True black chrome is pretty dark and almost jet black, I am pretty sure most of the black antennas you see on cars are still black chrome.

The finish most people think of as black chrome is really black nickel (a black deposit on bright nickel) and looks like chrome with a black tint to it. There are several drawback IMHO with black nickel 1) it is very hard to find anyone that has good consistency in the color, 1 day it might be a real light gray and the next a dark gray. 2) Black nickel is also UV sensitive and will fade over time if it is not protected with an e-coat or other finish.

We are going about our "black chrome" in a different manner. Our black chrome will standard chrome with our black candy clear coat applied to it. This will give us several advantages 1) we can consistently make the chrome any tint of black that we want by simply adding additional coats of the black candy and 2) being protected by the clear coat will give more durability than just the chrome. If you ever scratch it just buff it out.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
hey ozzy - looks like you might be able to get a few of us to step up to the bar if you offered a frame chroming service....

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
dlevi03 gotta tell you, love your bike. Looks HOT. That would be my choice too for mine. Ozzy chrome flamed skins. Just the best for the best. I bet Max would like his hands on a frame like yours. :eek:fftopic DC Sports always a good choice in parts. NOS Prelude doing low 12's high 11's on their headers + HKS catback.:icon_mrgr

Frank, I'm with Val, at the initial comment on black.
The paint you describe would look so wicked with the black nickel (contrast), the mental picture I have is just astonishing. Had BMX race frame and bars on it from the factory (eons ago), very unique finish and look to it. On the V-Rod it would just be outstanding. NO ONE will have it. And with the black skins WOW will become "OMG sweet JESUS arghhh look at that thing, come quick! Look! Look!" type of thing (or at least that's the mental image of a freak like me).

PM black calipers on oversized disks, of course!

It looks chrome but is blacked out, in that order.
Voted chrome, I mean BLACKChrome.:2cents

Gotta go! Drooling on myself.:rofl3:
Yes! It's a saxophone but look at the finish and conrast, best pic I could find to do it justice.

P.S. Home Depot has black nickel faucets with the exact same finish to the metal I'm talking about.:rofl3: :rofl3:

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Frank,

I think the '04 clear coat frame looks great. Part of the look of the bike is the exposed frame, it needs to complement the skins, not blend into them IMHO.

I'm not a chromaholic like some on the forums but if you're intention is to show the bike that would certainly add some curb appeal, with the dark skins you're planning Oxxy's black chrome sounds pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts