Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola!

Hey, has anyone considered doing, or had their frame chromed?

I've been thinking of doing this...but would like to see another bike that has had this treatment.

I'm thinking a chrome frame and the Ozzy Customs "Toxic Green" would be a killer combo.

Cheers!

Dan

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vincent a chrome frame is still in my plans but I haven't started yet, that is a member here that has his done and I think we have a couple of members that have chrome frames now. I might be wrong but that looks like the member chromeframes bike, it does look very sweet.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Franko says he is going to get his frame "Spray Chromed" by Ozzie. I'm betting that is a great alternative.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Daniii I had also spoken with Ozzy about that same method, my concern is that I ride my bike every day and want looks and durability from it. The spray does sound as though it will be more durable in the long haul.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Max: A true chrome frame certainly can be durable (and looks killer). My BSA frame was chromed in '71, and when I sold it last year it had only one blemish. I didn't ride it every day, of course (damn thing was soooo hard to start when it was cold out). But very durable. Polishing it prior to chroming has to be one tough job, however.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Daniii my long term concern was the chemicals that get inside the frame during the process that over time would rust the frame from the inside.

·
2,552 Posts
jlbait said:
We gotta know!!
$700 for spray chrome and clear coat and between $1000 to $1500 for traditional chrome. Material only. I have the same concerns that Max has regarding rusting from inside out. My main reason I am going with Ozzy's spray chrome is durability and longevity and also I know Ozzy will do a GREAT job for me. Plus I want the base coat of my skins to match the frame in color.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Max,

Interesting point about the rusting...never thought of that! I live in Oregon...in case you haven't heard, it rains here occasionally, but usually only between the beginning of March and the end of Febuary. :)

There has to be a way to protect the inside from the rusting problem...an internal coat of rust inhibitor after the plating process? (something run up inside the frame in critical areas).

Very interesting...I'd love to talk to a plater and see what they think about the rusting issue.

Dan

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My frame has just been chromed and is in transit back to the shop doing the work. It is not cheap, but done right it is durable. It would be a lot cheaper if your bike is stripped down for some other purpose, but in my case we tore it down specifically to chrome the frame. I decided to chrome the frame because I wasn't happy with the look of any of the different colored paint sets or custom paint against the frame color.
The dealer that I am working with insisted that we send the frame to a chrome shop that specialized in bike frames & I agreed. You only get one chance at it and you sure wouldn't want to rip it down again if you had a problem. Prior to making the decision to go forward my dealer set up a conference call with the chrome shop and someone at the HD factory to discuss how to dress the welds, potential metal fatique to the frame from the chroming process, rusting etc, and between them they came up with a process that satisfied all parties, including myself.
I would post some pics of the dressed frame if I could fiqure out how.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The bigest downside for me is that if I scratch or chip the chrome I am done. I have one very small spot on the neck that was chiped prob. when it was being put back together that rusted a bit. You can not see it without looking so I just cleaned up the rust and put clear nail polish over it to prevent peeling. Other than that I had a couple of areas that looked scuffed that my dealer was able to buff out. I think our member chromeframe took his bike apart himself and said somthing about greenstuff ozzing out of the frame for awhile but I have not encountered this. I will just have to hope that she does not rust from the inside out. The good thing about what Frank is doing is that he can prob. touch up any problem areas without any notice. Once I get some nice pictures I will post them in the gallery.

·
Nothing but Chrome
167 Posts
Dan:

The Picture at the top is my bike. Had it done in May 02. Really not much to it. The hardest part is taking the bike apart and back together. The only problem I now see is that it limits what else you can do with the Bike, like chrome skins, wheels etc.. and the fact that its premanent. If you don't like it your only choice is to buy a new frame. Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chrome Frame at Daytona HD

If anyone wants to see both our liquid chrome (spray) and real chrome frames visit Daytona Harley Davidson during bike week. We are going to have a couple of bikes there, both loaded with chrome (chrome frame, chrome gas tank (real tank), chrome dog a$$, chrome headlight bucket, xtreme chrome body sets, bolts, etc, etc).

I prefer the liquid chrome for the frame because of the durability, and easy repairs if scratched or chipped. Yes, chrome is very strong and durable but it does get a lot of hairline scratches, and if it gets damaged the cost to dis-assemble the bike for repairs is quit high. We noticed a lot of scratches where your legs rub the frame below the seat.

Ozzy

·
2,552 Posts
ozzycustoms said:
If anyone wants to see both our liquid chrome (spray) and real chrome frames visit Daytona Harley Davidson during bike week. We are going to have a couple of bikes there, both loaded with chrome (chrome frame, chrome gas tank (real tank), chrome dog a$$, chrome headlight bucket, xtreme chrome body sets, bolts, etc, etc).

I prefer the liquid chrome for the frame because of the durability, and easy repairs if scratched or chipped. Yes, chrome is very strong and durable but it does get a lot of hairline scratches, and if it gets damaged the cost to dis-assemble the bike for repairs is quit high. We noticed a lot of scratches where your legs rub the frame below the seat.

Ozzy
Ozzy,

Any word on when you will receive the chemical for the spay chrome.
Also did you view this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrodvinny
Yep, I agree ghost flames on the frame would be kicka$$

Ozzy,

If you read this post. Talk to us about ghost flames over the spray chrome and then clear coat. Too much Maybe?
The look I am shooting for is spray chromed frame, clear coated. (The reason I am doing spray chrome is that Ozzy tells me that it will last longer than traditional chrome and the clear coat can be touched up if scratched. (95% as shiny as traditional chrome)) I am going with the air box cover with the stock gage mounted in it.(I am installing a 220 KPH Euro gage, taking it apart, covering the kph lettering, installing a speedo recalibration unit to recalibrate it to be a 220 mph speedo) (Still waiting to see the air box cover that American Custom Paint is working on) The new BPP front fender. A wide rear fender that will house a stock shaped tail light. I really like the tail light from JOE because it makes me much more visible and is different from many stock V-Rods. (After I was hit by the cager and the first words out of her mouth was "I did not see you", I want to be as visible as possible) I am installing the Climax Control Cycle Stealth handle bars. They have a center gage housing for a 2 1/16" diameter gage. I ordered them with a Dakota Digital water temp. gage installed. http://www.climaxcycle.com/. I am also very seriously looking at the new front end from Steve Storz. http://www.storzperf.com/np_vrod.html The skins (front fender, radiator shrouds, side covers airbox covers and rear fender) will also be spray chromed and clear coated as a base for the custom black paint. I am having them spray chromed as a base for my flame job that will run along the bottom area of the air box cover and the bottom surface of the rear fender. The flame on the bottom of the rear fender will continue the flow of the top rear frame. I want the bottom of the airbox and the frame to look as one, eliminating the radical change in color from the frame to the airbox cover. Also having many other parts spay chromed (front top engine mount bracket, aluminum coolant hoses that run just under the top of the frame, fuel cell, fuel cell bracket, exhaust bracket and other small parts). Just a matter of TIME. The flames will look similar (in theory) to the attached pics.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Legend Air Ride Suspension
Performance Machine Brakes
200 Metzler

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Frank, I did not see that post.

The acids used in our etching process will not work on the spray chrome. If the etched ghosting is desired over the spray chrome I would look at doing a clear pearl between clear coats. Not the exact effect but pretty close.

I think this would look pretty killer, might have to do it on the shop bike if I ever get it apart..

We are expecting to get the rest of our chemicals the 20th - 24th and our liquid chroming booth should be in full operation again.

Ozzy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts