Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else get a frame bag? It is just big enough to hold my digi cam. when i was cleaning my bike i noticed that it rubbed the black paint off of my upper belt gaurd. I put chrome belt gaurds on since then and left the bag off. Could that rubbing mess up the chrome? I had the velcro straps as tight as they wound go, anybody else have that bag?

·
MARK
644 Posts
I bought one of them put it on and took it right off because I knew it was going to rub.... I don't think they thought that one out....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe if it was plastic and cliped in place with some kind of strethy material with a zipper at the top. anybody know a designer a Harley, tell them to check out this forum. we know what we need.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
I have it with the chrome belt guards and no problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same situation as TBAG809. Chrome belt guards, no problem with the rubbing. I keep the chrome polished well though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys, i might put the bag back on only when needed and see what happens to the chrome guards ... thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Stinkin Bag

Be VERY careful with that damn bag. I had mine on for 1 weekend, about 300 miles and it not only wore the paint off of my belt guards it also wore into the aluminum so they can't even be repaint. And now for the best part it wore the f'in paint off of my frame. This bag was put on as the instructions say with the clear strips so that area wasn't harmed it was to frame rail that goes up diagonally behind the bag. All I had in the thing was the cell phone and garage door opener.

I was pi$$ed. All the dealer said is that since they didn't put it on they couldn't do anything and I should call Harley and file a complaint. BS

Ken

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
I have had mine on for about 3 months now and my frame is fine....

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
I mounted the frame bag WITHOUT the blue plastic strips when the bike was purchased new 1800 miles ago. No problems for me. I carry cell phone, sunglasses or clear glasses. Not too much weight. It's very small and compact and not designed to carry much.:2cents

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I looked at mine last night and it was leaving it's mark on the horizontal portion of the frame and the belt guard. I have stripped and polished my belt guard and the aluminum is real soft so anything that touches it will leave a mark but a little Mothers and it's good as new. The frame cleaned up with a little Maguires cleaner/wax. I will install a clear plastic cover on the frame to prevent deeper scratches. I carry an Autocom intercom system in there when we ride 2 up for any distance so it's pretty full. Probably the equivalent of stuffing 2 older (read: large) cell phones in there.

Mark

·
1,738 Posts
See my post in the General area with link to my thread on V-twin forums.com. This bag will wear the paint off of your guard and the frame. The vinyl will get hard with age and weathering and it will get worse. Protect the frame and guard with clear vinyl tape at the outset.

oldhd: get out those "blue" strips, take the blue backing off and they are clear vinyl. For sure the velcro stips will rub your finish of the frame.

By the way the frame is powdercoated and you are not supposed to use anything but soap and water on it, no cleaners or wax. To get the black marks from the bag off I had to finally use McGuires scratch remover. It took it off and the paint doe not look to bad, except for where it was worn off, but it does take off the finish. Sort of like using billet polish on the aluminum in that it leaves a black residue from the paint on your rag. Not doing anything good to the powdercoat.

·
1,738 Posts
oldhd: your black frame will not show the black marks from the bag, but the bags abrasion will still wear off the frame paint. I used some clear "vinyl repair tape" I bought at Shuck's to extend the protection of the clear strips included with the bag. Cost was $2.99. Other clear tape, incuding packaging tape will work. By the way what you carry in it is not so much the problem as he rubbing from the movement of the swing arm and the vibration of the engine.
Fred

1 - 16 of 16 Posts