Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have known better an M8 bolt is less then 15lbs of torque. Of course the 06 manual says 41-48lbs. I will heli-coil tomorrow the "CHROME TUBE" pinch bolt. I Had this happen on my car, twisted a stud on the upper bearing cap clear off. I guess we are doomed to repeat ourselves after a certain age (55). Why can't I repeat the fun stuff when I was 20?

David

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Isn't that 41-48 inch-lbs? :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I wish it said that, then I would have only put in 3lbs instead of going to 40lbs. According to the torque spec. on this site it is 11bls or 132in lbs. I even took off my glasses to look again.

David

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I find dozens of errors in just about all manuals. The downside to Harley doing them only in hard print is they never correct them that way. Sometimes you have to look at the bolt and know it's a mistake when you see figures like that. Anything m8 you know it can't hold 40 ft lbs of torque. Honestly when I built my engine I don't remember much of anything being near that much torque direct. Almost all the things that require that much torque are done with torque angle, example 20 ft lbs of torque and 90 degrees.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
torque angle, learn something new every day

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
powergod said:
torque angle, learn something new every day
Almost all stretch bolts which your head and case bolts are in this engine are done with torque angle. In other words you tighten them to say 15 ft lbs and then you line the wrench up at say 12 o clock and you turn it to three o clock or 90 degrees. GM switched to this method about 15 years ago and I think the quad 4 and 4100 were some of the first engines that used both the stretch bolts and this method. It should also be said that you don't want to use the case studs (four main) and head bolts more then one time on this engine. They actually stretch when torqued and should be replaced when you do work on the engine. We also learned this the hard way with the 4100 and leaks. :rofl:

·
Banned
405 Posts
Christ is there anything you dont know Max!!

I love reading your posts they are full of info!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vepil said:
Christ is there anything you dont know Max!!

I love reading your posts they are full of info!
It's like being really good at pool, it's the sign of a wasted child hood. :rofl: Honestly for me mechanics have been my life and this bike has been my passion. I'm the kid that took things apart just to see what made them work. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts