Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any companies that make a kit of some kind to move the controls farther down or forward for the muscle?

My legs are still at a 90 degree bend to the foot pegs and I would like to stretch them out more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just swap them around. If you take the right foot peg holder and switch it with the left it will give you about two more inches of reach. You have to take the whole foot peg off (the silver part and the actual foot peg) but leave the foot peg "in place" while switching the silver piece. It's kind of hard to explain but if you go out and look again you can figure it out.

After you swap the footrest holder, you have to rotate them 180 degrees and voila, about 2 inches of reach.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Have you done this? Does it make the brake and shifter an odd reach from the pegs with them being a couple of inches lower

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I did it to mine. It'll take a little while to do it (20-30 minutes maybe), especially with my crappy directions but if you needed to undo it it would probably take you about five minutes since you would know the routine.

I did adjust the shifter lever, mainly because I could. I actually cut off about an inch of the rod(?) (whatever that adjustable piece is called) to get it to the height that I wanted. I never did figure out any way to adjust the brake lever but now I am used to it being "higher" and have no desire to adjust. Like I said, if you don't like it it takes about five minutes to undo.

·
ELMO
74 Posts
Maddux, Do you happen to have any pics of this. Very interested in this myself.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maddux thanks so much for the information. I have service manuals available to me if I need them so it should not be a problem making the change. I would probably adjust the shifter as well. The brake I am not so worried about. Again thanks for the information. I can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes by doing this.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
No problem, guys. It wasn't my idea though, I got it from someone on this board about 6 months ago.

Here are some pictures but there's not really much to see. Like I said, it's just the reversal of the original setup.
Wow a blue one, don't see that everyday. Cool.

Tried this myself and at 5'9" with long legs it was just a little too much for me. Would love to get some straight supports to the F models width made up but I can only imagine what that would cost.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you just want to go to straight supports use the one from the regular vrod they are straight. Hell I might even make a swap deal for you my straights for your offsets if you are interested. I want the offset ones to flip them around and give me the extra legroom.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
If you just want to go to straight supports use the one from the regular vrod they are straight. Hell I might even make a swap deal for you my straights for your offsets if you are interested. I want the offset ones to flip them around and give me the extra legroom.
Shaggy, I wish cause I scoped out my buddies DX and the Harley straight ones are quite a bit closer to the frame and with my "extra" exhaust pipe on the left it's not gonna be a straight up swap.

I would like to score a straight set and strip the chrome, carefully mahine the part in half and weld in a piece then blend and rechrome but jesus that's a lot of work but this might be the year.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Shaggy, I wish cause I scoped out my buddies DX and the Harley straight ones are quite a bit closer to the frame and with my "extra" exhaust pipe on the left it's not gonna be a straight up swap.

I would like to score a straight set and strip the chrome, carefully mahine the part in half and weld in a piece then blend and rechrome but jesus that's a lot of work but this might be the year.
Curios What if instead of lengthening the mount what if you get longer pegs like Harley part 49500-92T they say not for Vrod but that is because of dragging them not because they won't mount up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
just swap them around. If you take the right foot peg holder and switch it with the left it will give you about two more inches of reach. You have to take the whole foot peg off (the silver part and the actual foot peg) but leave the foot peg "in place" while switching the silver piece. It's kind of hard to explain but if you go out and look again you can figure it out.

After you swap the footrest holder, you have to rotate them 180 degrees and voila, about 2 inches of reach.
this helped my riding stance tremendously!

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
Curios What if instead of lengthening the mount what if you get longer pegs like Harley part 49500-92T they say not for Vrod but that is because of dragging them not because they won't mount up.
Possibly...:popcorn

·
Registered
5 Posts
im doing it asap. ive been wanting to since i first got my F. i searched and read about flipping but it didnt make sense, does now. i also heard of an Arlen Ness set working but have never been able to find more about them. thanks for motivation all

·
ELMO
74 Posts
Much Appreciated for the pix and the blue looks great.

Sam

·
Jeff
283 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have been wondering about how to get more reach. I'm doing this before I ride today. Thanks for posting and I'll let you all know how it works out.

Jeff

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Tall people mod for sure!

I'm 6'5" and have been wondering about how to get more reach. I'm doing this before I ride today. Thanks for posting and I'll let you all know how it works out.

Jeff
...wow! What a difference that made. Well it took a little longer than 20 minutes to swap around because once I finally got them off I realized that I needed to get after them with the Blue Magic metal polish.

After fitting them I went for a test ride down my street and I realized that I had a problem with reaching up high enough to shift up through the gears. That and the foot brake was a little funny feeling because I'm stepping on the pedal now instead of using the footrest as a support. No biggie for me. Took a couple stops to get used to and all was well.

So I took an initial measurement of the shift rod, and from center of the forward heim joint to the threaded end of the rod was about 14 1/4". With the bike on the stand I put my left foot up to gauge the height of the bottom of the shifter peg to the top of the footrest. I came up with about 2 1/2" for my size 13 clown shoe to fit right.

Because the threaded end only went into the aft heim joint another 1/8" (totalling 3/4" in and 3/4" out of the joint), I started cutting off an 1/8" at a time and test fitting. I wound up cutting 3/8" total to get what I wanted, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the tip! Being able to ride with the top of my thighs now at a downward slope feels so much better...and I'm sure will help with aerodynamics too :bs:

Jeff

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
This worked out great, what a difference. Anyone adjust the brake pedal, and or shifter peg. Would appreciate a heads up on how to do it. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
This worked out great, what a difference. Anyone adjust the brake pedal, and or shifter peg. Would appreciate a heads up on how to do it. Thanks
no idea on break but most dont find it too much of a problem. i dont and only use the rear 5 % of the time anyway.

for shifter just cut off a littlle over a half inch of threaded ended and your done. adjust to liking. ride

im soooooo much more comfortable in this position.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts