Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picture of the Signiture Series Formotion Clock and Thermometer mounted on Touring Shield. Bag is Willie & Max Windshield Bag (less than $20.00). Bag can attach to Lexon with Velco or with Cable Ties to crossbar. Cheap, but not too cheap looking. Undecided about bag. Also, where Formotion units look best mounted.

http://www.formotionproducts.com/fullmount.htm

Fred

PS had to buy smaller chrome bolts, washers and acorn nuts to mount them on the shield. Formotion has a pic of them mounted on a V-rod on the upper switch covers bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
V-Fred,

Looks like it mounts similar to a HD Clutch mount clock (P/N 75042-03. Is this true? I'm interested in getting the thermometer.

I want to know how bad I'm freezing my butt off riding in Michigan...

-Bry

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
esquire7oz: Nice Bag

I thought of buying the following "Raise-it" from Formotion (no I do not work for Formotion), and drill a hole in the center of the Touring Shield crossbar and bolt a traditional Harley Bag. The Willie and Max bag was a much cheaper alternative. However, it looks a little tacky with the cable ties, and all the holes in it for the ties that allows mounting in various places.

http://www.formotionproducts.com/raiseit.htm

bbruce65: Formotion makes HD's clock. I think that the Signature black with white numerals looks better, and complements the V-Rod instrument cluster.

I really did not want to spend the $100 plus on the two guages, but I find that getting to the watch through the jacket and gauntlet gloves in the cold weather impossible. Also, it helps to know if it is around freezing.

They work fine. Had them on the switchs, and think they look good there also. If I took the shield on and off, I would have left them there, but as I seldom take it off, they are more easily read on the shield.

Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fred,

Thanks for the reply! I own the HD clock already. I was wondering about the mount since I ride sans windshield. Same goes for my buddy with his FatBoy.

Probably will be placing an order after the holidays (if the credit card survives) :)

THanks again!

-Bry

·
Registered
138 Posts
i looked for a pic on-line but cannt find one. i got the bag from the harley shop. it has a small metal skull on it the the tab is a pull out button. i'll post a better pic tomorrow.

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fehrc: Those look nice with your anniversary two tone. I note that you have the chrome bolt kit for your switch covers and reservoir covers. You will note when I had them on the bars like you I used them, but went back to the black when I switched them to the shield. Still undecided which look best on my bike, On yours they definitely look better with the chrome mirrors, switch's and controls.

How do you find those mirrors as to vision? I love the look (not the cost), but am concerned since they mount lower and not as far out as stock.

V-Fred

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
V-Fred,

Thanks for the comments. This pic is actually a little old (as you can tell by the thermometer - it's not quite 80 degrees here anymore!). I originally bought the black bezels (by mistake) and then sent them back for the chrome bezels. I think the chrome bezels like you have are the best looking.

IMHO, I think they look best either mounted on the bottom of the switch housings, like I have done, or on the shield, like you have done. In your case I would probably leave them on the shield unless you get your switches, controls, etc chromed. Besides, on the shield it keeps the lines of the handlebars smoother and the gauges are more easily seen.

Re the mirrors, I think I was a little hasty in buying the ones I have now. I wish I would have checked out the aftermarket scene a little more. You're right, the ones I have are real pricey and they could be a little wider. I am a smaller guy (5'9" 160lbs) and I see a fair amount of my shoulder in the mirror. I don't have any good suggestions for you, however if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't "settle" for the ones I have until I had exhausted the aftermarket.

Re the shield bag. I too have the touring shield (used sparingly - only for long trips) and have often thought about getting a bag to mount to it. My concerns were two-fold though. I didn't know if the shield was strong enough to support a bag and I wanted to find a bag that fit properly so it didn't rub against the clamshell or the windshield. So often I've seen where bags have rubbed these areas and have left them looking terrible. What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Craig

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fehrc: the Willey and Max bag is small enough that only the edge of the flap touchs the clamshell and then only the chrome part. If the shield was mounted higher even the flap would not touch. I am not wild about the bag, but it will do. I suggest using the Formotion Raise It mentioned above. Drill a hole in the crossbar and mount it, then you can pick whatever windshield bag you wish.

Fred

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Fred,

I checked out the Raise It and it does look like a good option. Might have to try this. Thanks.

While I was checking out Formotion's site I noticed that they have a Power Pod. It sure would be handy to have something like this for longer trips. And from the pics on their site it looks like it's got a nice finish.

Check out my post in the general forum.

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts